| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,485 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 103 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 103 | I've found a guy selling a t-4 trans out of an S-10, an '87 year model I beleive and I havn't heard anyone ever talk about that trans on here. I'm guessing it may be a t-5 without the overdrive? I havn't been trying real hard to find a t-5 but I'm wondering if that t-4 may be ok to use instead. I have a '49 with a inline 250 ci, sm420 4 speed trans and a 3.90 rear out of a '58 pickup right now.
Last edited by lazy j; 01/31/2009 4:16 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | A t-4 would be defeting the purpose. The 5th gear is the o-drive. That is what you are after. I dont think they put the t-4 in the S-10 after about 83-84. If you can see the trans. check the knob to see if it has 5 speeds. Try to shift to o-drive. It is way over to the right & down. Over to the right & up is reverse. If 5th is blocked out then it is a 4 speed. I just came from a pik your own parts type salvage yard & there was 2 there. One was already out laying on the ground but I dont know what it came out of. It had the shifter way in the back but it had the fine splines & mech. speedo. The other one was still in a 85. The shifter felt snug on it. If anyone in the K.C. area wants to know about them e-mail me. [email protected] They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | The T4's were offered up until '88 or so. Some were simply T5's with the OD gears removed, however most do not have the right tail shaft or internal shafts. They make good donors for a front case for a T5. Other than that, they are not worth much. I would NOT replace an SM420 with a T5. With your 250, I would be looking for a NV3500 from behind a 4.3 V6 in an S-10 Stronger than the T5, and will bolt up with NO modifications.
Scott
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 103 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 103 | I didn't know about the nv3500 tranny. Is it an easier install than the t5 in my situation? Would the shifter end up in the right location? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | Yes and Yes with the 250 that you have.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 103 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 103 | So only a NV3500 out of an s10 will work, or can i look for one out of 1/2 ton pickup? | | |
| |
| |