The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (RLB), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4977 10/03/2002 7:11 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
What would you pay for a 235 fresh from the machine shop.

New pistons
New cam
New lifters
New oilpump
Machined Crank
New main and Rod bearings
Cylinder head has been machined to
New Valves
New Seats
New Guides

So what do you think this would be worth?

Thanks for all your replies


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#4978 10/03/2002 7:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
My understanding is that a core is worth $100-150 and the machine work runs $800-1200 depending on what is done. Others will have their own estimates.


Buzz'n Half Dozen
#4979 10/03/2002 7:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Adding up just the parts and labor for what is listed above comes to 900 dollars.

My 235 will cost a total of $3,596.72

And that is no shi* either.

Chiphead.


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#4980 10/03/2002 7:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Whoops, I forgot the cost of my clutch, motor mounts, and pushrods.

Make that $3,912

I bet you guys don't believe me either.

Chiphead eek


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#4981 10/03/2002 10:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 72
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 72
smile howziit guys!

my new friend said the total bill at the machine shop, including assembly, cost him $3200.


Myron

1956 chevy 3100 stepside, Pro-Street stance, mild 454 BBC/350/9"/13" M/T'S, daily driver, aka THE PINK LADY

1957 Bel-Air coupe, 500 HP blown sbc in progress, aka LANI
#4982 10/04/2002 4:04 AM
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
We believe ya! I just spent $1600 on a Willys L-134, all of 78HP. Coulda done a super V-8 for half the price. But that's not the point!

Now Porsches...think about $6K for a full rebuild! Regardless of year!

-Boyo


'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
#4983 10/04/2002 1:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Thanks guys! I stopped by my old place of employment yesterday and was talking to the owner (my old boss). They had a 235 in the machine shop that the had done and the owner didn't have any money to pay the bill. So I just wanted to know what it is worth. I may make him an offer for it after looking at the budget.
Thanks again


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#4984 10/04/2002 2:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Just make sure the work was done right, otherwise it isn't worth scrap prices.


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#4985 10/04/2002 3:13 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 9
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 9
My local "Uncle Henries"adversisment publication has had a brand new, NOS, still in cosmoline 235 for sale for a while. I see the ad every week. They want $800 firm. I think it is still up for sale. I think I have the ad out in my truck. I can give the number to call, but I expect that you would have to go pick it up yourself, as it is owned by an individual instead of any business. I'll run out and get it. Be right back.


JKU72
56 3100
68 Suburban
#4986 10/04/2002 3:20 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 9
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 9
Okay, here is what it says:
"41-47 235 block with iron pistons and rings. New, still in cosmoline." I can email a phone number. This is not my stuff, I only read it in a ad, so please realize I have no real idea what it is. But, to give you a value of what one goes for, this chap is asking 800.


JKU72
56 3100
68 Suburban
#4987 10/04/2002 6:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Brian--

I think JKU has a good point---reproduction cost is likely not market value. Although the cost to rebuild an engine is high (apparently much higher than I thought grin )--that doesn't mean that you can sell it for that price.

Market here is pretty much limited to antique vehicles. As a result--your machine shop or seller will likely have a hard time selling it for what they've got in it. Kinda like a new car when you drive it off the lot......

If it were me, I'd low ball 'em and try to get them to come back to you. Always nice to have a spare engine under your workbench. wink


Buzz'n Half Dozen
#4988 10/04/2002 9:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
The '41-47 motor is going to be a babbit-beater with iron pistons, and not as desireable as a '54-'62 full-pressure version w/aluminum pistons.


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0