| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (49nut, moparguy, ndkid275, Barry Martak, tclederman, kades51, 1 invisible),
78
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,396 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 87 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 87 | I am rebuilding my transmission for my 53 pick-up. I went and bought the bearings from the FLAPS store. The question is would you use bearings that are made in China? I feel a little uncomfortable using them. I wouldn't of minded as much if they came from the J A pan Co. But China is another story. What are your thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | It's your choice, but I'm afraid the rest of the old American iron might get upset. I would always be thinking about the bearings, and how they're getting along with the other parts. Not to mention the guilt I would feel for betraying my truck. Honestly, I would be concerned about the quality of the metal and and it's tooling. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | It's hard to find anything not made in China but I would question them. There are numerous grades of bearings available with the same numbers and some will not hold up in transmissions. I buy my bearings from a supplier that specializes in transmission parts. They cost a little more but I don't want to do it over. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | SKF has more than 5 bearing factories in China. SKF has been synonymous with high quality for decades. I have seen some bearings made in China that scare me, but what's a person to do, punt! Stuart | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 443 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 443 | I had the same decision last week. I am putting my new (rebuilt) motor in my truck and bought a new clutch, plate & bearing since it will all be apart. I got a re-manufactured clutch assembly and sure enough the stuff is made in China. Looks a little thin to me but I don't have a ton of money to spend for all new parts. 1957 Chevrolet 1/2-ton Stepside LB in the Gallery My Photobucket shots The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | I had issues with wheel bearings made in china on a daily driver,I was putting about 40,000 miles a year on it and they did not last very long. Jeff | | |
| |
| |