The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (55shaker, MickeyP, 59 fleet, Gdads51), 93 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#493809 01/16/2009 2:19 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
I just torqued my head on a 55.1 235 after slipping in the pistons. I turned the engine over to attach the rods to the crank and discovered one of the rods was 180 degrees backward. I used a brand new head gasket (copper sandwich type). I suppose I am going to have to pull the head off to rotate the piston, unless it is ok to just rotate the piston from below. I assume the pistons are to be oriented just one way. If I do take the head off, will I need a new gasket or can I use the torqued new one again?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Were the rods removed from the pistons during the teardown? If not, all you need to do is unbolt the cap, push the rod up, rotate it a half turn, and retorque the cap. If the piston was reversed on the rod, you'll need to pull the head again. If the engine hasn't been started and warmed up, it's OK to reuse the gasket.

Edit: Normally, the rod and cap numbers will be on the camshaft side.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 01/16/2009 3:08 AM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
This is a total rebuild with new pistons and rings. I am using the original rods. I have no idea if I placed the rod on the piston wrong or if I inserted the whole piston/rod into the cylinder 180 degrees backward. Each piston had a notch indicating forward facing(I believe that the notch was for that reason). I am going to have to get a scope and look into the chamber and see if the top of the piston is oriented like the others. But it is ok to reuse the torqued gasket? The engine has not yet run.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
you should be able to use a small flashlight and look up from the bottom to make sure the rod is on the wrist pin correct.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
I found out that the rod is backward by looking up from the bottom. I need to know if I can just rotate the piston with the rod or do the pistons need to be oriented the same way. Is there a front and a rear to the piston?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Yes, the piston needs to have the notch pointed toward the front of the engine. The wrist pin is offset, and a reversed piston will cause an annoying slapping noise that will eventually collapse the piston skirt. I doubt if the offset is enough to see from the bottom, however. To be safe, better pull the head and check it out. If you haven't warmed up the engine, go ahead and reuse the gasket.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
Thank you Jerry and Don for your replies. I'm just going to take the head off and make sure everything is oriented the right way.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Pulling the head, it is recommended to use a new gasket.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Say there Buff, why don't cha get the shortblock assembled before you put the head on 'er???
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
Funny thing, Denny, it was all put together. I had used the wick rear seal and the crank felt way too tight after torquing the rods and the main bearings. As I was going about trying to replace the seal, I fortunately found that the one piston was backward. Like I said, it was fortunate that I went back in. You're right though, it is good to put it together in order. Thankyou for your reply.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0