| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,123 Posts1,056,653 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#49118 08/16/2005 9:27 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 50 | I'm replacing my water pump on a 235 engine. Truck is a 1951 Chevy. Having trouble determining if it is the short shaft model water pump. I believe it is, but the pictures of the new short shaft pumps seem to have a smaller pulley attached. Do I use my old pully or the new one that comes on a replacment pump? Does anyone know if the short shaft pump in the Chevy duty magazine comes with a pully? If not, it mentions in shop manual that a press is needed to put the old one on. Thanks! 
1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
| | |
#49119 08/16/2005 10:21 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | Mike, It should be the long shaft standard 55-62 235 pump. | | |
#49120 08/16/2005 11:52 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 50 | Thanks. I keep reading that on the 55-62 235 engines you had to use the short shaft to keep from relocating your radiator. Any tell tale signs to know for sure? I know the 216 engine was replaced with the 235 (engine id 3764476) (3836848 higher compression head). The current pump has a rather large pulley so it may be the standard shaft although it doesn't appear that my radiator was relocated.
1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
| | |
#49121 08/17/2005 2:21 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You will need to shorten the shaft for your installation. You will need to use the same pulley you have now. You will not need the press to pull it. Unlike the one the book talks about, this one bolts on.
If you have access to a press you can save lots of money shortening one from the auto parts store. You just press the hub to where you need it and cut off the eccess shaft with a cut-off wheel. The local high school shop teacher might let some student do it for a donation of some shop supplies. | | |
#49122 08/17/2005 3:50 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | I didn't read your post thoroughly, sorry. Your choices are to buy the short shaft pump from one of the vendors, or modify like above, or put the 216 pump on . That will keep it in the stock position. You can buy a kit from pre68 dave or Jim Carter do do this. Thats what I'm doing in my 49, using the 216 pump w/wide pulley, and using the 216 valve cover. This requires drilling and tapping to holes, but not too hard (I'll let you know, I'll be doin it this week. | | |
#49123 08/17/2005 10:37 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 50 | Thanks everyone. Going to have to decide which route I'm going to take. Dave S... would be glad to hear how tapping the holes goes!
1951 Chevy 3100 w/235
| | |
| |
| |