The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Bill Trotter, mick53, GIJOE298, Mike'sPlace, Otto Skorzeny, Hush, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,288
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48590 08/02/2005 2:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
I want to put air in a 1937 with a 1970-250 6cyl.Does anyone make a "stock" compresor mounting brk.?And maybe a 3 groove water pump pully?I have the power steering pump and alt. on the driver side already, so it has to go on the pass. side I know. Thanks for any help you can give me! frown

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
I put an A-6 on mine, made my own brackets, wasn't that hard. Or you could junkyard a setup from a Nova, truck or............
Not too hard to find


John Kennedy
1950 Suburban street rod
Pics in the Gallery.......
new site up!
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I think Johnnny has the right idea;find a Nova with A/C in a wrecking yard,and get everything you can that relates to your project. That way,you have a reserve of related parts to draw from if needed,and once the A/C is installed and working you can dispose of the parts you didn't need. If the factory bracket doesn't tuck close enough to the engine or something like that,it's often easier to modify an existing bracket than to build one from scratch. Or keep 'em,in case you think of something else you can make out of them.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 62
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 62
I would run away from a stock compressor of the vintage you have as they are R-12 take alot more power to run.

Sanden type modern compressors are R-134(cheap!) and aftermarket brackets for your six are much better looking!

Take a look at www.alangrovecomponets.com or www.vintageair.com


47 Fleetmaster, Hotrod 6, 5 Speed
50 Sedan Delivery, 327, 5 Speed
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
They are only r-12 if you put r-12 back in them. If the compressor is off the car, you can remove the oil and go with 134a OR leave the oil in and use Freeze-12. There are also numerous other refrigerants out there including one called Envirosafe. Here's one that I found very interesting:

http://autocool-refrigerants.com


delete my account and pictures
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12
Some compressors don't like conversions. I would just buy a new one and use 134a. I wouldn't use anything not approved for use in automotive systems like freeze12 and others. Freeze12 is just 80% r123a anyways. Buy the right stuff and at least it can be recovered at a shop later if you have to fix the system. In california at least we have to identify refrigents now before working on the system, if you had freeze12 in it you would get turned away or charged a ton of money for disposal. The newer sanden type compressors are scroll type and are more efficent.

I want to run a homemade kit on my 56 3200 but can't figure out the bracket part. also the belt groove on my harmonic bal. is only setup for one belt, would I need a longer belt or another harmonic bal. for two belts? also where would the compressor go, etc... I figured I'd buy the under dash kit from vintage air or get a vintage air off ebay. I heard you can't get brackets from them....

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Patrick's has a set of brackets that puts the a/c compressor where the generator used to be and the alternator above the intake on the same side. The compressor has a two groove pulley and is hooked up the crank and water pump with a smaller belt to just the alternator. Set of brackets is about $100, maybe less.

I'd like to add p/s in addition to a/c and am going to drill the old pully off the harmonic balancer, thread the holes and bolt in a two belt pulley to be able to run the p/s on the passanger side of the engine. I think I found a aftermarket bracket that'll work but am going to try looking at the brackets on other l-6's in the boneyard and maybe have my block/head drilled and threaded to use one of those, if there is meat in the right places that could be drilled/threaded.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0