The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, 2-Ton, TexasJim50, MickeyP, MRMEROTH11), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,383
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16
I have an exhaust leak somewhere on my truck. You can smell it in the cab and under the hood. I don't know exactly where it is because the fan blades move so much air that the exhaust just blows around. My plan was to replace the exhaust manifold gasket as well as the exhaust pipe. Currently the pipe dumps out just behind the cab using the old- "hack saw off the rusty part" method. I want the replacement to come all the way from the collector pipe back under the bed and dump out by the bumper (so I can't smell it- too bad for the guy behind me). My concern is that it seems as though the intake and exhaust manifolds share the same gasket and I'm worried about doing the swap. I'm really new at this and I try to stay away from engines as often as possible. I'm worried about breaking the bolts that hold them in place, or not being able to get the old gasket off. When I put the new one on do I need any sealant? Any help would be appreciated. thanks
-cale


1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, original 216
http://community.webshots.com/album/568902858IoMdNF
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The bolts that go into the cylinder head shouldn't be to bad. The bolts that hold the exhaust pipe flange to the manifold could be another story. I'd get a can of good penetrating oil and start soaking everything real good before you tackle the job. You will more than likely need to use heat on the nuts for the flange. Take your time and if your unsure round up some help. The method I always use is to heat the nut red hot, then get a good 6 point socket on the nut and gently try and loosen it. It may move some,then snug it back up. You may have to do this a couple times to get things going. Just be careful because it will be real easy to snap things off.

Good Luck
Don


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0