The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, TUTS 59, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 146 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#474875 11/24/2008 3:37 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I have a noisy third gear. It howls and rattles. I suspect wear someplace and the synchro.

Any thoughts?


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If 1st & 2nd are normal the 3rd speed gear is probably worn on the main shaft. Those arn't very hard to o-haul.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
Not hard to o-haul? really? I took the top off mine to inspect it and the gears looked ok. But it looks like a pain to take apart and put together. Is there anything else I should look at other than gear wear?


In the Gallery
[yrl=http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=43825635&albumId=1717519]More pictures in MySpace[/url]
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The best way to tell about a manual trans. is to drive it. If you get excessive whining noise in all gears except high it indicates bad brgs. namely the front drive brg. or the brg. between the shafts. If the gears clash or grind when you shift to any thing but 1st. or reverse it indicates bad syncros. If it jumps out of gear it could be bad gears or thrush brgs. I realize "easy to o-haul" is a relative term. It depends on the mechanics expertise & facilities. Compared to a SM465 these are real easy.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
the old chevy manual page has the overhaul instructions on it i found it to be quite simple to work on. the only tricky part
is getting the needle rollers back in the main input shaft
the book listed a spring tool for that but i found that heavy
grease held them long enough to put the shaft back in. philip

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Mike, I would hit up Tisslers and get a T5. Then your truck would top out above the 55 your doing now. It sounds like you have a few bearings going.

Scott


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Wrenchbender, you hit the nail on the head.It is now whining in two and three, quiet in four and a little grind here and there. So I need bearings and synchros. I just hope the case isn't worn as well.

I had this apart a few years ago when I put the truck back on the road and tearing the trans down was actually fairly simple. I didn't have any new parts then, only a few things from another trans, so I didn't really rebuild or make any improvements. The hard part is pulling it out and putting it back in. That part I really am not looking forward to. There is a Novak kit that has all of these parts.

Scott, as far as a T-5 goes, is this a direct bolt up and is it the same length as the SM 420? I would like to avoid getting the jack shaft re done again.

Does the T-5 require a rear mount? This trans just makes it into place with the original cross member.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike



1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Mike, with a quick google search, here is a link I found for SM420 rebuild kits
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/sm420_parts.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...intage_W0QQitemZ8068708421QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.drivetrain.com/munciesm420.html

I am sure that there are many more.

The T5 will bolt up, however is longer than the SM420 and will require a trip to get the shaft shortened. The consensus is out on the rear mount.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Thanks Scott.

I need to get on this, as soon as it stops snowing!

Mike


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Mike, if you need to use my shop at my place in Wisconsin, I only ask that you shovel the walk. I can give you directions on firing up the boiler for heat, however the Air Compressor is down here with me.

Scott


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Thanks Scott. I'm not sure how I will pull it off yet, but I will keep your offer in mind.

Mike


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Heck Mike, your going to be building me a set of shelves in the near future, it is the least I can do, plus I would rather have a local 'bolter use it and clear out the spiders than have it sit vacant.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
I have been advised against the T5 for my own 1-tonner. It is a light-duty transmission, best used in a 1/2 ton application. There are several NV 5-speed transmissions which have been suggested as readily available, adaptable and up to the tasks imposed on a 1-ton chassis.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
OK, here is my plan.

I have ordered some parts for another SM420 I have and am going to put it together for a direct swap. I am going to change the replacement from a torque tube to open driveshaft configuration. The replacement appears tighter than the one I am using and was blessed as good when I got it.
We will see. I am hoping it is much better than what I have, and keep me on the road. This is my daily driver so I can't let it stay down for long.

Hotshoe, what specifically are these 5 speed you are talking about?


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Well, I am not the final authority on transmissions, you understand, but I am an old trucker with some strong opinions on gearboxes. The New Venture 5-speed transmissions I am talking about are OEM in late-model GM and Dodge 3/4T and 1T trucks. There are two different ratio ranges; although both high gears are identical overdrives and both 4th are direct drive, one is a close-ratio in the lower gears and the other has a wider range, beginning with a deeper low gear. I think that is the one used in the GM trucks, but I'm not sure. My tranny guy is George at Bert's Automotive in Surrey, BC. This is their site:
www.bertsauto.com/ and they are my final authority on anything gearbox-related for anything lighter than a 5-tonner, and maybe for heavier stuff as well.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Mike, offer still stands to use my shop. I would recommend bringing a second person because I would not condone working alone.

Scott


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Thanks Scott, but I have another place to go that is closer. I considered doing it in the driveway but the bottom is falling out of the temperature and more snow on the way. If all goes well it will be just pull one out and put one back. Should be done fairly quickly. This guy can also do a little welding for me while I am there.

Thanks again

Hotshoe, thanks for the tip.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0