The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Hanks custodian, Ponchogl), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47766 07/16/2005 7:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
If all goes well and I can get my 53 panel put back together, I hope to go to Colorado Srings and the high mountains of Colo. this Fall. I remember as a kid that when we went west on the great family vacation my Dad stopped somewhere near Denver and had the carb on our 53 Plymouth "adjusted for the altitude". I have a H/W 2bbl on my 261. I live in TN at about 800'. How should I adjust my carb for "altitude"? Will I need to? Don
P.S. Ya think I should bring an anchor for added braking?

#47767 07/16/2005 8:54 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
I'd suggest an 8-ounce ballpeen, and hit it medium-hard on the float chamber. That will do about as much good as any adjustment you could attempt. The only thing that's adjustable on that, or any modern carb is idle mixture. Evervthing else that affects mixture is deep down in the works, and is not adjustable, things like main jets, air bleeds, metering rods, etc. As the altitude goes up, a carb runs richer due to the thinner air, and a leaner main jet or a larger air bleed would have to be installed to compensate for the lighter-weight air. An ideal air:fuel mixture ia 14.7:1 BY WEIGHT. Aircraft carburetors have aneroid-type mixture compensation for just that reason, or they have adjustable mixture for altitude compensation. Cars don't have that option, unless they have computer-controlled fuel injection. You might be able to lean out the idle mixture for a smoother idle, but that's all you can do externally.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#47768 07/16/2005 9:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
That makes sense.Could it be that mechanics in the late 50's were scamming the poor flatland tourists?!?!! I'm going to be taking the Blue Hwys. and smaller roads so slow going up will be ok. Slow coming down is always good too.
I get the hammer concept; got alot of big ones for fixing things in my shop! I believe in the bigger hammer theory of smithing! Thanks, Don

#47769 07/17/2005 4:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Where is Kelso? I've got a farm halfway between Pulaski and Fayetteville, in Lincoln County. I work in Nashville, and commute to the farm on weekends.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#47770 07/17/2005 7:17 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Jerry, Kelso is on Hwy. 64 about 4 miles east of Fayetteville. I'm about 4 miles south of Kelso (postal address) and 3 miles east of Park City. The closest wide spot with a store is Corders Crossroads.
Don

#47771 07/17/2005 4:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Hey, we're almost neighbors! I'm on the west side of the county, close to Dellrose. Let's get together for a coffee, or something stronger, whenever it's convenient!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#47772 07/17/2005 7:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Jerry, I have sent you an email.

#47773 07/17/2005 9:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 36
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 36
What about advancing the timing? I'm sun cooked today, so I forget how many degrees per 1000 ft..... We're about 6500 ft here, maybe something to check into.


artificial intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity
#47774 07/18/2005 12:27 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Be careful with timing advance. Some dyno tests we ran several years ago determined that one degree over-advanced robs as much power as retarding the timing 5 degrees from the best setting. Too-early timing also promotes detonation, and severe piston and ring damage. On one full-power dyno run on a Dodge 440 tractor-pull engine, less than 5 seconds of detonation at full throttle burned a 2" hole in the top of a piston. Of course, the engine was developing over 700 HP at 6,500 RPM at the time!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#47775 07/18/2005 1:15 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
I moved to the mountains in 1970, was driving a carburated V8..All I had to do was change the jets, and it made it up Pikes Peak..Good Luck, but don't try to make it more than it is..Steve

#47776 07/19/2005 4:04 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
I think you'll be OK going up in altitude although you might notice a little loss in power. Of course, the steepness of mountain roads might be the primary culprit.

When we lived at 7200 ft. in Laramie, WY, our car tuned for that would start to knock at Baker, OR on our way to sea level. I'd just use a mixture of regular and ethyl until be got back to Baker.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0