| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,102 Posts1,056,185 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 1 | So as my title suggests I have just gotten ahold of a 1969 Chevy c/10 pickup. I'm a pretty decent diesel mechanic after my dad owning a trucking company for 15 years and myself being a heavy equipment operator/shade tree mechanic on the farm. This is really my first project and while I have all of these wild ideas of what "could be" I'd like to ask everyone here their opinions. If this truck was yours, what would you do to it. My end goal is a nice driver, and maybe a little umph if I ever get playful.
I believe it has a 303 in it, and I know it has the old "three on the tree" The current engine is not running, and it isn't believed to be fixable. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I would start with a new goodwrench 350 engine. Either the basic replacement or a higher performance upgrade. I would put on disc brakes from a 71 up model & change to 5 hole wheels. If the rear end is 3.08 ratio I would change the axles & drums to 5 hole. If not I would get a 71-72 rear end. You can use the 3.08 with a Muncie 4 speed or use a lower gear rear end with an o-drive trans. Add power steering if not equipt. I would leave the stock heighth & rebuild all chassis & brake components as needed. The cosmetics are up to your taste but I like stock apearance. These are great driving trucks & one of the best model GM built. There are plenty of parts available for them. Welcome to the Stovebolt website & the old truck hoby. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have & many others on this website. Great bunch of people. George They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 40 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 40 | There are so many things that you can do with these year trucks. I have a 1968 that I left stock just because it already had all the goodies. (396 v-8, A/C, Tachometer, cruise control, wood bed, 400 transmission, and a CST truck) But you can drop them, put disc brakes on them like Wrench bender said, put the gas tank between the rails and get it out of the cab if you want. They look great stock, or they look great lowered, shaved, and rodded. Go to your local bookstore and pick up a Custom Classic Truck magazine, as they show them sometimes stock or modified. Good luck with your project!
Tom | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 119 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 119 | Welcome Keystoner, sounds like a cool project! This is the place to get the plan. Ted. | | |
| |
| |