Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,416 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 | Hi all: I am new on Stovebolt.com, just registered this morning... So, here's what I am doing. I just purchased a 1939 stub nose Chevy tow truck. It's over 2,000 miles away so it may be a while before I get it home. But its mine & I'm getting excited now. I have been waiting for a stub nose of the 30s for a few years now, so I jumped on this one. First let me say that I am a Chevy GUY all the way. My daily driver is a 51 4 door sedan, & with a 1939 two door sedan in my garage, & a newer suburban to do the hard work around the yard. So now that I got a new project to start on, I don't know how & were to start? I no nothing about this truck except it has a 110 wheel base, & it is a complete truck with very little cancer, lots of rust but still very solid. I guess I need a repair manual that covers these trucks? Any suggestions for me? My ending goal is to build a two axle SLAMED down to the ground up graded SIMI Truck. (I was a truck driver for 28 years, now retired @ 53)
Darrell, W.L. 1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe 1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan
Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation. I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 |
Darrell, W.L. 1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe 1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan
Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation. I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Welcome to The Stovebolt. I'm a Wrecker guy, & also love COE's. Whaty type of Wrecker, does your truck have on it. Factory Unit, or homemade. Any photos. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | Any tow truck is a good tow truck.  Welcome to the Bolt! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 | Hi Spanky: It's a factory Tow truck, but the boom is not there. All I have is a few photos of the truck, but the box is there,( a good & straight box), but all of the wood is rotted away, for the most part. No floor. You can see the rotted wood on the back board, & inside the side walls in one photo. The box is a back board with side walls that look to be about 4foot tall & goes straight back, then rounds off & drops down right behind the back fenders. But it looks like the box & fenders are still real nice & straight. Yea I have a few photos, but I haven't figured out how to post photos as yet...
Darrell, W.L. 1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe 1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan
Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation. I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | You need to post a link to your photos. Copy the address of the web page where your photos are, and paste it into a reply box. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 | Spanky: I don't know the tonnage of the truck as yet? I don't know the motor or gearing either. But it has very large split rims & duel tires on back. The best part that got me to jump on it was the fact that the truck is all complete, right down to the hood ornament. Also the fact that it is still a good solid truck, with only a little cancer in the floor. I can only see the top of the valve cover in one photo, but don't know enough about the larger motors to determine anything from that. I can send you photos. Just give me a place to send them to...
Darrell, W.L. 1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe 1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan
Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation. I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 |
Darrell, W.L. 1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe 1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan
Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation. I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 |
Darrell, W.L. 1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe 1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan
Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation. I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Thanks, Got the photos. Good look'in lil' COE. Looks like a VF model, 1 1/2 ton, 107 5/8"in. wheelbase '39 model. Could be a Ernest Holmes body, but more than likely a Weaver unit, was on it, like the one in this link, http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0393.html | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 126 | Yea, that looks like the box, wish I had the tow boob still on mine. You got any other web's or photo sites with COE's restored? I gust purchaced a three bar grill guard last week for a friend & it turned out to be for a big flat bumper truck, not what he wanted...
Darrell, W.L. 1939 Chevy COE tow truck/My Stubbed toe 1939 Chevy 2 door Sedan
Car chat means talks about Chevy's. All other car makers only build transportation. I don't work on my cars, I entertain my self in my garage, so my nabor tells me.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | That's a Weaver Tow Boom. I see them on ebay, every now, & then. Check out, www.classiccoe.com | | |
| |