The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (jmoore, Peggy M, Jon G, John Dlugos, DadsFirstPickup, 1 invisible), 87 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45965 06/07/2005 2:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
I've got a '48 GMC, ser. no. FC10223421. Should be a 1/2 ton, 100 series, with a 125 1/4" wheel base. The wheel base is right, but it's got the horizontally mounted lever action shocks front and rear, and my manual shows that only to be on 280 series and above, but 280 series and above don't have a 125 1/4" wheel base as an option. I gotta be looking at something wrong here. I need to know to get the right parts..I need new king pins and bushings. By the way, who's the best parts house? And the tech tip didn't work for removal. He must not have ever worked with Wisconsin rust. I had to pull the axle and press them out. Heat didn't work either.

#45966 06/07/2005 2:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Post a picture of a front spindle and someone here will identify it for you.

Who's the best parts house? Everyone has their choice. Jim Carter (oldchevytrucks.com) is the best in my opinion if you like dealing with a decent, respectful, ethical and honest human who knows what they are talking about and who is truly considerate of you.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
#45967 06/07/2005 4:37 PM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
We prefer American Classic. We go there first.

We certainly want to support those who have helped keep this site on-line for a long-time.

Peg


~ One of many.
#45968 06/08/2005 1:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
Thanks, I think I have it figured out. Shocks are a single acting lever type... parts manual helped me out. Am. Classic has them listed as dicontinued, I'll give Carter a try.

#45969 06/08/2005 3:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You might want to upgrade to a more modern shock for a better ride and handling. Do a search if you want to knnow more.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0