| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,626 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 8 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 8 | Okay, So I have put a 58-62 235 in my 49 panel. All is fine except for the radiator clearance issue. I was using a radiator out of a 65 mustang for a while but wanted to go back to the original. So I bought a completely rebuilt radiator. Now the problem is that there is now way that the fan blade is not going to hit the radiator if I try to put the radiator back in it's original spot. To put it in front of the radiator mount would mean some modification which I really do not want to do. Has anyone else experience this issue? I'm sure this has been addressed before but I can't seem to find out how to exactly address this problem. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 | If the motor was mounted in the original position buy a adapter plate and use the old 216 water pump. Doing this will give the proper fan rad clearence and centers the fan in the rad. where it should be. You can get the adapter plate from Jim Carters. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | juddwayne, Take ttodd's advice. This topic has been discussed regularly. Here is a recent post. Be sure to check out Fla54Chevy3100's Webshot photos. Also, be sure to ask for installation instructions. You might want to obtain a water-pump gasket for both sides of the adapter plate (an earlier style gasket for the water pump to the plate (FelPro 5131) and a later style for the plate to the block (FelPro 5159)). If you do not have a good, original water pump, they are readily available from most vendors. $42-$75 from Rockauto.com, for example. Tim | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 8 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 8 | Thanks for the advice from both of you! I appreciate it! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 388 | Hi Juddwayne
I have done the same conversion but I bought a short water pump from Patrciks and it worked very well and it is working very well
Ganesh | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 77 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 77 | I just got through doing this conversion 1 week ago. Bought the adapter plate, drilled the block etc. I have a 58 235 in a 53 5700 COE. The previous owner had just spaced the top of the rad forward 2.5 inches-- made all the sheetmetal not fit. Anyway, the plate is the way to go and NAPA has new 216/early 235 pumps available. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 388 | Man in my experience Short water pump was the easiest and cleanest way to go, I respect Mr. Patrcik as he is very experienced guy
Ganesh | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 8 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 8 | I went with the shortened water pump simply because my friend had one sitting on his shelf in his garage from a project that he never got around to. I'll see how it works for me. I'm also in the process of a 12 volt conversion using a generator and voltage regulator out of a 55 chevy bel air and a HEI out of an 84 pickup. Hope it all works out!!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 77 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 77 | only problem with using the short pump is they are not available off the shelf from your local parts suppliers. The 216/235 early pumps are everywhere and cheap. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | The other problem with the short pump is that the fan sits too low on the radiator- the 216 had the pump partially in the head and it made the fan mount higher. I still didn't get enough clearance for a fan when I put my 261 in my '50 so I run an electric fan in front of the radiator.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | I put a 57 235 in my 37 with the shortened pump from Jim Carter but could not use a stock fan due to it hitting the balancer and radiator,it broke a few years later and went into the radiator so I got the adapter and drilled the block and glad I did as i can use a stock fan now. I had to go with the adapter because I had another shortened water pump but it would not go on with the radiator in place and I could not remove and install the radiator with the pump in the block. Jeff | | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 43 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 43 | I had the same problem this summer. I ended up using a standard 235 Water pump and had the flange pressed down to clearance the fan from the radiator. Its a tight fit, but it's all snuggled in there and nothing leaks, and the radiator cools great now.
I wish I would have know about this site when I was dealing with this issue as I would have just bought a short shaft water pump and new gaskets and been done with it. But as luck goes I ended up doing things the hard way. How much fun would it have been to have the right parts the first time anyways!?!
| | |
| |
| |