The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (2-Ton, delwrench, 1955 1 Series, UtahYork, Otto Skorzeny, dt235sd), 86 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
I am planning on buying a crossmember from Chassis Engineering Inc. It sounds like stock components will bolt up. I found a Pinto to rob from in a salvage yard for $250. What hubs, rotors, bearings, etc. do I need to convert my bolt pattern to the 5 on 4 3/4"? Just trying to keep the costs down instead of buying the kit from CE. Thanks!

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
If you have a 5x4.75 rear end and want to match the front you could can approach it in a couple of ways. You could take the existing ford rotors to a machine & have them redrilled to the small chevy pattern, or buy a set already drilled from an aftermarket vendor. There are tons of them around. I'd probally spend a few more bucks and upgrade to 11" rotors for better braking capacity.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
i would not waste my time with 9 1/4 inch stock rotors i would upgrade to 11 inch with gm calipers, that front end is not worth the $250.00 all your getting is a arms and spindles the rack n pinon is used the tie rod end are used and the bearing you can use if you upgrade to 11 inch rotors.


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
I am starting to agree with you about the value of the salvage front end. By the time I got done rebuilding the old one, I could have bought all new components. I am still worried about buying any sort of kit. In case I need to replace any parts in the future, I want to know exactly what I have. What rotor? What pads? What bearings? Does anybody have a parts list for these?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
I don't think you'll have a problem finding replacement parts because there are a ton of suppliers out there offering replacement parts.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I used this . I installed it on my new lowered Mustang II spindles and have been pleased with the results.
It gives you the larger 11" rotors.
Replacement parts can be purchased from Speedway Motors. Bearings seals etc. These are specific to this conversion.
The price shouldn't break the bank! The kit comes with a complete list of all component parts and #
I hope this helps
Jock thumbs_up

Last edited by jockbolter50; 10/01/2008 8:23 PM.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
I had looked at that kit earlier. Looks pretty good. Have you had good luck with Speedway in the past? I also looked at purchasing spindles and upper and lower control arms from them. The total is about half of what I would pay through CE to go with the kit.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I haven't had a lot of dealings with Speedway, I bought my complete Mustang II front end complete with power rack, lowered spindles and air-ride conversion. It was an expensive buy due to import taxes,V.A.T. and the vendors mark-up
I bought it through a U.K. importer.
With the benefit of hindsight I would do it as a personal import next time.
As far as the kit itself ,I have had no issues and it is exactly what I expected.
Speedway have been around since 1952 and I expect they will be around for a long time to come!


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0