The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Peggy M, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 54 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,319
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 238
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 238
Has anyone on here converted their AD truck windows to power operation? I'm thinking about doing this on my '50. I've seen "universal" type electric kits on sale at car shows in the US and wondered how easy/difficult they are to install in an AD.

If anyone on here could recommend a kit to go for (or which ones to avoid) that would be great, I'm coming over to the US for the Carlisle/Hershey PA events in a few weeks so could pick some parts up then.

Thanks.

Stuart.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I'm going to say that nothing's impossible, but in an AD, it will be difficult. One of the problems is that the access is so very tight inside the door. You've just pretty much got one hole way in the bottom. But what I've seen a lot of hotrodders do is cut out the inside steel panel of the door, restore the innards, and then have a nice upholstered panel made to go over it. You could do the same.

I restored my windows the hard way, but the steel inner panel is not sound-insulated, so I've been thinking about getting a panel upholstered for my doors too.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Another route a buddy of mine went with when he put his truck together was he bought a trashed door from me (Big dent and bottom 3-4 inches rotted off). He then cut a huge hole inside. And used it to mock up and build brackets for the "Universal" power window kit he bought. Once he had it all figured out he mirrored what he had built for the other side, screwed the inside back in place and practiced installing it with the door closed back up. Then he did the real thing. Now I know good parts are hard to find sometimes over the pond, but how's finding bad parts? If your shipping anything big back from Hershey an extra door might not add too much.
MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 610
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 610
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/Power_Windows.htm
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/Power_Windows/PowerWindowConversion.htm

They are a bit on the expensive side, but they are what I plan to be using for the fact of easier installation. These are made to bolt right in the stock location. I was also looking at a few flat glass power window kits on ebay before I decided on these.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 138
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 138
To me, I'd never do it.. It's against everything these trucks stand for.. Simple, dependable, rugged........

Don't take this as me being one of those "rought it" rednecks... My primary driver is a fully loaded (at that time anyway) 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD (yes, an S-Class) with power windows, locks, mirrors, seats, climate control, A/C (not working right now, winter project) automatic tranny, cruise, etc........

My AD will stay manual everything if I have my way about it.. Other than the power-shift automatic tranny...... (which will still be manual shift, just without use of a clutch)




-Matt
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I don't know if you have heard of Nu-Relics. They build direct replacement power windows that are drop-ins. I brought a set of the electric windows for my 1939 Packard Coupe Model 110 (and you think Chevy truck parts are hard to find). Took about three hours to install not counting wiring. PO had buggered up driver's door with power door locks that we had to work around. Looked them up on the web and they carry the '47-'50 Chevy truck windows for $420.00. Phone number is (336) 699-8949. Located in N. Carolina and nicer people you will not meet. Good luck.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0