The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Millenimech, NJC, Forty9, tclederman), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 39
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 39
I have a 1952 AD 1/2 ton pickup.It has a closed driveshaft,Iam installing a 235 with a SM 320 4 speed trans made for an open drive shaft.My problem is I want to stay with a 6 lug rear,to match the disc 6 lug brake conversion I did on the front.I have found some info about a 1954 to 1967 differential front pumpkin with open drive shaft that will fit right into my rear housing.I think they can be found with a 3.55 ratio but will they fit and will the axle splines work,also Ithink I have a stock floating rear differential that would need some modification has any one done this or should I think about a complete 6 lug rear out of something not sure what any help will be appreaciaded

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
you could swap a 54-60? pumpkin in your axle, and still use your brakes/parking brake, etc. the gear ratio will be 3.90. you could get a set of 3.38 gears and have them installed. Obviously you would have to weld on new spring perches to your axle and get rid of the pivot mounts associated with the torque tube. With the pumpkin swap, you are left with only 2 gear ratios to chose from. You are also left with 55 year old drivetrain parts with 55 years of wear.

Another option is to find another suitable axle. They aren't as hard to find as you think. The 4wd chevy and gm trucks used a narrow 6 lug axle for quite a number of years. For my 1940 I also wanted a 6 lug rear, and disc brakes. I ordered an IMCA modified F@rd 9 inch rear. I was able to spec out the 6 lug on 5.5 inch lug pattern, width of the rear end, number of splines, size of the disc brakes and more. The 9 inch has virtually an unlimited number of parts and gears and positractions to chose from. Best of all you can get all the parts clean, new, and from your computer without having to drive around to all the wrecking yards to crawl under 100s of cars and trucks with a tape measure only to find a warn out oil leaking pos axle that the wrecking yard will let you have for 4 bills. After cleaning and rebuilding you could be out some serious money.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 39
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 39
Thank You bigbadswingdaddy I sort of felt that way about 50 year old parts just needed some reafirmation and a n alternate plan

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
If you don't want to have any old parts in your truck, I hear Chevy has good deals on trucks right now. grin


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0