| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,102 Posts1,056,184 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | The shop manual says to "stake" the 216 Cam Bearings after installation.I'm not familiar with how is this accomplished? Any help would be appreciated.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 157 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 157 | Staking simply involves drilling the bearing(s) for a small pin to prevent the bearing from rotating. Most everyone I know uses brads or small finish nails. Pick brass or mild steel brads, which ever is appropriate. For cam bearings, I'd be using brass. You'll have to carefully blend off the head of the brad with a fine file or emory paper after cutting the excess off with diagonal cutters.
Fred | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think that there is a hole in the cam bearing that is used for this purpose. I don't believe a pin is used. A punch is used to stake the bearing through the hole. I believe there is an illustration in the manual.
I hope that someone can comment on this further because this is a very important step. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 157 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 157 | I think that there is a hole in the cam bearing that is used for this purpose. I don't believe a pin is used. A punch is used to stake the bearing through the hole. I believe there is an illustration in the manual.
I hope that someone can comment on this further because this is a very important step. Yup, truckernix is right, I just checked my manual and it's like he says. The manual shows a "Tool #7 (staking tool) for the job. Manual says to "mark the face of the cam bearing bores so that you have alignment for the oil holes, then press the bearings in and stake them in the hole provided". You can probably substitute a long 1/8" punch or center punch and just dimple the bearing into the hole provided. My only experience with staking cam bearings is with F**d tractors. Sorry about the misinformation. Fred | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Yes, I found that illustration too. Thanks for your help guys.
Drew
| | |
| |
| |