The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, Shade Baby, Gray_Ghost, JW51, ronsway, Guitplayer), 166 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
I just got a 1953 one ton 3800 and I see that the front rims do not pilot on the fron hubs -- they just are centered by the 8 bolts. Is this supposed to be like this?

The rear wheels which uses the same rims do pilot on the rear hub.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
looks right to me - all the series are that way in front - it's not that you've got the wrong rims!

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
If you're saying that the hole in the rim center is bigger than the hub, that is wrong. Rims need to fit snugly around the hub, both front and back.

The lugs are then carrying all the weight of the truck, and they're not designed for that, the lugs only load in tension and compression, but are not designed to carry shear loads (up and down). You can get away with this for a while, but eventually the studs will break, especially if you haul a heavy load.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
Hey im looking for some help here. Now I got two responses and one says I'm ok and one says I'm headed for trouble. I need at least one more vote on this subject.

On the front of this truck which I believe to be all original, the front brake drum does pilot on the hub but this pilot does not extend out though the drum to pilot the rim. Is this correct?

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
Hah. Fred will go out and look at his trucks pretty soon and come back with a correction. smile smile smile

The stock front end on my 3/4 ton is the same as yours, piloting on the bolts. The late '70s IFS I put in is the same--the front hub sticks through the rim a bit, but there is maybe a 1/16" gap all the way around. Much less weight on the front than on the rear under heavy load conditions.

Now for the surprising part, at least to me. The rear rims don't actually register on the hub, either. They're close but they don't touch. I just looked at the rear end I took out of my truck, which had stock rims, and at the rear end from a 3/4 ton parts truck which also had stock rims on it when I got it, and it's obvious that there was no contact between the inside of the hole and the outside of the hub. The rear end that came off my truck has a heavy coat of paint on it, and only a few high spots were knocked off. Just guessing, I'd say the hole in the stock rim is maybe .020"-.030" larger than the "pilot" on the hub.

I can recall having an awful time getting brake drums off the hubs on 1/2 ton trucks. They do register on the hub surface, and after they've been on a while they do *not* want to come off. But I don't recall ever having to break a wheel loose the same way on the 3/4 ton trucks I've had. The wheels are always loose as soon as the last lugnut is loosened.

I'm amazed. I always took it for granted that the rear wheels registered on the hubs on trucks with full-floating rears. eek eek eek

Joe

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
The rims should be close, but not necessarily pilot on the hub. Look at a late-model F*rd wheel sometime, and you'll see the rims do ride on the hub, with flat lug nut surfaces that only hold the wheel on. The Chevy and early F*rd rims use tapered lug nuts to center the wheel on the studs. The new design is a better idea, but it's only come into use recently.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Yes, Joe, I did go check. Front rim hole to hub has a gap of .008. Rear rim to hub is .012 at the bottom, .016 at the top. The studs and acorn nut joint will flex enough to close that gap when loaded.

Why would GM have wasted the money to bend the flanges on the rims and machine the hubs on the axles and front drums if they weren't supposed to carry loads? Also, the design of the nut to rim is so that shear forces cause it to slip when a heavy load is applied.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My 1951 1 Ton GMC does not pilot on the front hubs, just on the rear, in the original configuration.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0