The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (fonz8261, dt235sd, klhansen, greenie-reddy, Opelika Tom), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,078
Posts1,056,283
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I am replacing the bad GMC 228 in my 51 1-ton with a GMC 302. I need a single pulley harmonic balancer as the double pulley that came with the 302 would hit the radiator. I haven't pulled my 228 harmonic balancer yet but I assume it will fit, although it apparently presses on while the 302 HB bolts on. Does anyone know if the 228 HB will fit the 302?

I've also been told that the harmonic balancer must be balanced to the crank and flywheel and that a machine shop can balance my replacement HB the same as my original. Is this necessary and recommended?

Thanks for your help.

Sidehill
Grand Junction, CO

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 68
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 68
Is ther room to move your radiator forward? Most old trucks have supports/brackets for several configurations. Perhaps you could even reverse the existing radiator framework?


Heavy metal worker--up to 4-inch plate.... If you can't cut it, burn it!
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
It's been awhile since I looked but I think I uced my 228 on the 302
Some of the SB Chevy V8 fit

The pulley is pretty small dia balance isn't really an issue

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I'm going to try to avoid moving the radiator although a poster on Inliners says it's pretty easy.

I hadn't considered that a lighter pulley/harmonic balancer might not need balanced. It must weigh 8 lbs on the 302 and probably only 3 or 4 on the 228.

I didnt accurately explain the problem in my initial post. I'm not even sure that the harmonic balance would hit the radiator, but the huge 5 blade fan that came with the 302 would, because it has a spacer positioning it further forward in order to not hit the balancer. I would need to remove the spacer to keep the fan out of the radiator, but then the fan would hit the h-balancer. So the obvious solution would be a thinner HB allowing me to move the fan back.
The Inliner post I mentioned above also suggested I look into an aftermarket fan with shorter blades so as not to hit the HB, but would still push plenty of air.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what I come up with.

Izzenhood


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0