The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, I finally got a few hours to investigate the 216 that backfired hard. The vacuum advance had jammed on full retard (dist rotation stuck), I cleaned it up and got it rotating freely and it runs better - no vacuum leaks. Carb is way to rich now, something must have let loose inside as even when I screw the idle mixture screw all the way in it runs too rich at idle, I can disconnect the vacuum line going to the wipers and it runs a lot better. I also noticed a metalic smacking sound coming from the pushrod cover between cylinders 1 & 2. I can feel something with my hand actually hitting on the inside at anything above about 1500 rpm - not regular, but about every 3rd or 4th firing cycle on the #1 or #2 cylinder. No change in intermittant sound when I disconnect the plug wires one at a time. Time to rebuild the carb and take that side cover off and see what is going on . . . any ideas?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 177
K
Kip Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 177
Gosh Ken I think you answered your own question
"Time to rebuild the carb and take that side cover off and see what is going on". But sounds like a broken push rod.
I hope still your Amigo, Kip


Write On The Cross At The Head Of My Grave
To Whiskey And Women Here Lies A Poor Slave

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
It's good to hear an update Ken .
That sure sounds like a bent pushrod under the side plate . Easy to replace .
The big backfire might have upset a check valve in the accelerator pump circuit , causing the excessive rich condition .
Happy hunting .

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Ken I think this is actually a plot to give a reason to go out and buy another Truck! Now for a small amount of hush money I won't tell Lisa! Just call me when you have your check book and pen in hand.

Hey I gotta do something I didn't win the lottery yesterday!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, the #1 Cylinder intake valve pushrod was bent. I pulled the valve cover and spun the pushrods by hand and it was obviously way out of whack. I loosened the adjuster and slid the rocker toward the back of the motor and pulled the rod right out. Took it into the shop and bent and rolled and bent and rolled and bent and rolled until it was pretty straight. Put it back in and will adjust cold and try it tommorow. Meanwhile, the carb is all torn apart and soaking in solvent overnight. We will see about that on Saturday.

How would the pushrod have gotten bent? All of the others appeared straight and true. That would mean the intake wasn't opening all the way. Probably wouldn't cause a miss or anything. Hmmmmm :confused:

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Several possibilties that come to mind. 1) Stuck valve, real easy to rule out. 2) Valve spring that is way to stiff. 3) Weakened pushrod due to fatigue. 4) Valve lash set way to tight. 5) Detonation with the valve partially open combined with a weak pushrod. Most likely. Don't know what your plans are for the engine, but unless it's future includes hard use, I would get a pushrod out of another 216 to replace it.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I just got a full set of push rods from Patricks for like $35.-
Every single one of mine was bent.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 13
I had a sound coming from the same general area. I took off the pushrod cover only to discover that the bolt that holds the coil to head was too long. The bolt was hitting the push rod, sounded really bad. Easy fix replaced the pushrod, added a shorter bolt, and problem soloved.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Ken, your engine has alzheimers,,,,The valve forgot to close before the piston came up and reminded it!!! grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wondered why this thread surfaced again. That engine has been running like a champ the last few weeks. I did everything you aren't supposed to do. I straightened the bent pushrods. One pushrod had a boogered up end and I swapped it out for one from another 216 in a 49 I have sitting out back. Put it all back together, warmed up and adjusted the valves . . . now it runs pretty good and quiet as can be. Only problem is that the carb is still too lean, I just pull out the choke a little when I want some power. I hauled some good 4 yard loads of dirt up my driveway today. First gear, low range and just growled up at about 1 mph. Ran outta gas on the last trip while dumping and there she sits with the box still half full. I'll pick up some gas on my way home from work tommorow. I have hauled and dumped more than 100 yards of dirt since I fixed that pushrod! I love that old truck! smile

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
Ken, I am of the school of thought that the dump truck is perhaps second only to the thermos in the world of great inventions. Much more practical than a pickup, and it's manly to drive.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0