The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series), 231 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#432084 07/12/2008 2:20 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 45
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 45
Been having some problems welding up punched holes. Last weekend I was replacing the Kickpanels in side the cab and I used a punch tool to make the holes along the edge. When I weld the holes up, I never seem to get the panel to stick to the flange under it. I have the panel clamped tiht and have tried several different settings on the MIG welder. The holes look very good when I finish but when I release the clamp, the weld don't hold. What am I doing wrong?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Morepower16,

The welder has to turned up more than one would thing and the hole has to be larger than expected. If you start a nice hot puddle in the middle of the hole, melting the base panel, then let the puddle wash to the edges of the hole in the replacement panel, it will stick like glue.

If your welder is turned up sufficiently, the whole thing will be almost flat and need very little finishing. The panels must be held tight against each other and it imperative you melt the material in the base panel first.

The holes must be large enough, at the very least 3/8" and all the surfaces must be clean and rust free.

Practice on some scrap first. When done properly, the welded spot will look like a red hot button until it cools. Good luck!

Stuart

Last edited by atomarc; 07/12/2008 4:18 PM.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0