Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,466 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | I have a aircleaner from a 40s or early 50s 216 that is not a oil bath and has a removable horse hair looking filter,has anyone put a modern filter in those older air cleaners. Yhe filter is mall and I will most likely take it to the small engine shop near by and see if I can find a filter that will work. Jeff | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I have, NAPA had one that fit perfect.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I use a paper element made for a GM V6 of the late eighties. My unit is the big oil bath type so I had to modify it a bit. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I took the wire mesh canister out of my old bath filter and replaced it with a Wix paper filter (after removing the oil of course). We had to do some hunting to find one the correct size but it's doable.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | The problem you have to watch out for is the air restriction of a paper style filter in an oil bath filter. The size and the shape of the oil bath filter was designed for a different filtering system, basicly no filter and the oil pool. By using a paper filter, you can create air restrictions and consequently the engine becomes somewhat choked down causing poor milage and unnecessary fuel comsumption. The same care should be taken using a paper filter instead of the factor type filter of the wire mesh and filter material. These filters are engineered and designed to work for certain situations. If any filter worked on any engine, there wouldn't be a kazillion different filters. Each has it's specific purpose for a specific intake and carb system with air and gas intake measured by the make up of the filter. A small engine filter has no place on your 216-235-261. Be careful! Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Jeff, are you referring to an air cleaner that looks like like the filter at the upper left of this picture? People seem to be giving you information about oil bath air cleaners - but, you are not referring to an oil bath air cleaner? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | Thats the air cleaner I have. Jeff | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | My comments were directed at both Tiny and Jeff regarding the use of filters that are more dense than the original style filters thus causing a slight amount of choking to the engine at all times. This is something that Tom Langdon pointed out some years back when fitting stock carbs with "after market" type air filters. Here's what happens - when you tune your carbs you tune them with no air filter on them. If you put an incorrect or too dense of a filter on them after they are tuned, you,in effect, de-tune them and are driving around with a totally incorrect intake set up. Pretty simple to understand. With these engines, every little bit needs attention and needs to be right. Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | OK.....my uncle says that the picture of the air cleaner that tclederman linked to can use a paper filter that can be purchased at Jim carters or Napa and that it will and does work fine. ALSO...when I got "our" truck it had an oil bath filter on top of the Rod B carb he took it off and gave me the type of filter that tc linked to (upper left of the picture) WHY? HE, says that most of the problems that we have heard about the Rod B's are due to the oil bath type filter being too heavy and unbalanced when filled wtih oil thus causing the carb to warp and crack and he says that it was a problem from the first day they came out. He has always run with the type of filter so noted and calls the other types an abomonation and a boat anchor and (my favorite) a misery to mankind and all of God's animals....how do you really feel UNK don't hold back!(;>) T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I can't find a picture of mine, but it use to have the screen and brown harry stuff in it, I replaced it with a proper fitting paper filter from NAPA. It did not affect the adjustements of the carb enough to even notice, much less require a change.
Give it a try, you'll know soon enough if it flows enough air.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Jeff, If your air cleaner is like the one on the upper left of the page at my link above, Jim Carter sells a beautiful match to the original spark arrestor air cleaner. He also sells a paper element replacement (but you could probably find that locally). By the way, I doubt very much that the weight of oil bath air cleaners is the reason so many Rochester carbs warped and leaked (but, that's a good story). Tim | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I'll agree with that. Mine had that type filter on it, and the Rochester under it was warped and cracked. To be honest, I've seen more warped and/or cracked Rochesters than good ones. Personally, I'm running K&Ns on mine, not in stock housings, but in housings of a similar size.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | I posted pictures in my album of a filter that I used; http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2232682370098611668LARbzY This is a CarQuest #CSI 87373 filter that I’ve been running on my stock 1950, 216 with a Rochester ‘B’. It is a little bit taller than the wire mesh that it replaced which requires that the 10-32 stud be about an 1/8” longer. CarQuest told me that one of the applications was for a John Deere tractor, which would be a much smaller displacement engine. I have had no problems with air flow in the 3000 miles that I’ve had it on the engine and if it were restricting the air flow it would have presented an over rich condition similar to having the choke pulled out. With in the past couple of months I’ve restored an original oil bath air cleaner of the proper vintage and have driven it for several hundred miles and have noticed no difference in the performance nor fuel mileage. The paper filter that Tim linked to from JC is only $7.13. I’m sure that the CarQuest filter I used was more than that the one from JC might not need to have the stud extended. Steve the problem with the Rochester ‘B’ carburetors leaking is caused by the Zinc alloy that was used in the castings. The condition is known in the casting industry as “Zinc Creep” and is caused by a granular separation at a molecular level. The problem was recognized early on by the engineers, which is evidenced by the fact that the air horn was continuously strengthened or the flange thickness increased over the more than a decade run that they used this design. Many of the later Rochester “B” carbs had much heavier air cleaners on them and they had much less problem with leakage. Another problem area for leakage was the rather skimpy 1/4” NPT fuel inlet, which was often over tighten by people thinking that was the source of the leaking fuel. This resulted in the thread being deformed to the point that they would not seal anymore and in many cases where the tapered brass fitting bottomed out. This was also redesigned and beefed up on the later Rochester ‘B’ carbs. If you look at the type of warpage that is seen in the air horn and bowl of the Rochester ‘B’ carbs, especially through the early part of the 50’s, you can plainly see that access weight from an air cleaner could not have caused it. Got to agree with ya Tim, this and other myths are simply unscientific and just that, myths. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |