The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinToms53, klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, Southerntruck, Mike B, Robert Crandall, Peggy M), 95 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,646
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
Where is 235 hydrolifter air bleed groove tech tip? Or any excelant info about quieting a 235's valvetrain.

Thanks

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
if they're really noisey yu'll hafta clear the oil line feeding upstairs then adjust'em. pull the valve cover and watch when running, and yu'll probably see -> little oil gettin to rockers. also I've always had old mechanics tell me ya hafta hear the valves on any old chev 6 or they're too tight.

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
It is a fresh full rebuild. So much oil pressure I can't run the motor without the valve cover witout oil getting everywhere.60psi under any load and no less than 30 at idle. I have to drape a rag over the rockers to catch to oil spraying out of them. Howard cam, double wound valvesprings,62 motor,bored .060, ati superdamper,balanced, pertronix ignitor, s.s. valves, hard seats,alum timing gear,clifford intake, edel 500 4 bbl.,repo jet hot coated fentons,all in front of a turbo 350 with a gear vendores overdrive behind that. Goes 100 mph at under 3000 rpm. Anyway, I need to figure out this noisy valve thing.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
Yes tc Thank you very much. So frustrating to remember reading something and not be able to find it.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
100mph under 3000rpm eek
What do you have for brakes and suspension???
.
Do you have pics of this ride grin cool


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 64
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 64
When you adjusted the valves did you find zero lash and then give the adjusting screw 1 1/2 turns tighter? With that much oil coming to the rockers I doubt there is any air getting to the lifter. I had a 1956 Chev. with a 235, one time that would have a bad valve noise after it got really warmed up on a hot day. I found out what caused this was the bore where the lifter ran in was worn just a little and when it was really warmed up there was too much clearance around the lifter for the oil pressure to pump the lifter up. I ended up putting in a solid lifter in the bore and adjusting the valve with the proper valve lash. It was that way when I traded it off many miles later.


kdot em3
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I can imagine the surprise of the next owner when he found that. smile


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
I just finished removing the nipples from a few of my rocker adjusters, and am about to set all the valves at 3\4 turn past zero, and see what happens.I have mustang II front susp. with 11 inch camaro calipers and rotors. **** nine inch rear with 3.50 gear. no pics online right now, I'll work on it.

thanks for the replys

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
3/4 turn is good enough.
.
.
Patiently waiting for the results grin cool grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 6
I put it all back together with a new bigger fan, no more hi temp at low speed. I diagnosed a definite exhaust leak, and tightened the adjuster screws about 1\8-1\4 turn past contact with valve. Any farther and the valve starts to open up. On #4 exhaust valve the lifter seems a litlle spongey. After tightening to this loose adjustment, I fired it up and two were still noisy so I shut them up with a 1\4 turn more and now can't hear anything over the exhaust leak, So I think cleaning up the adjuster nipples helped. After I fix the exhaust I'll be able to hear better. Thanks for the help.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0