The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, dt235sd, FAST55, FishinToms53, 3B, Rusty Heaps, 1 invisible), 100 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,632
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41087 10/20/2004 7:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 39
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 39
Hi everyone,
I have a 1958 Chevy PU and I have been trying to get the rear axle bearing out with no luck. I removed the retaining clip and rollers but can not get the puller hooked on any thing other than the inner bearing stop.I installed the retainer clip and put a little pressure on it but no luck.
Thanks for any help.
paul


Paul

When you do a good deed, get a receipt just incase HEAVEN is
like....the IRS
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Are you using a slide hammer? If not try it.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 39
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 39
Yes I am using a 3 jawed slide hammer.
Thanks Paul


Paul

When you do a good deed, get a receipt just incase HEAVEN is
like....the IRS
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Here's a little trick I learned from a mechanic at the paper mill my dad used to manage:

Outer bearing races can be really tough to remove if they were press fit. They have often corroded to the axle tube over time. If you can gut the rest of the bearing (and i suspect you have if you are using a slide hammer), you can get it out easily with a wirefeed welder. Just weld a good heavy bead all the way around the inside of the outer race where the bearings were riding and let it cool for a few minutes. Then it should come out with gentle tapping. The weld kills the temper of the metal and shrinks the outer race as it cools, making it smaller. Of course, you need a new bearing now, but you did anyway, right?

I have actually done this. My BMW rear wheel bearings are double row balls with a stub axle going through them, pressed into the control arm. They normally require a special tool from BMW which costs about $400. Using this trick I was able to replace the bearing and fit a new one for about $50 and 1 hour labor. A shop would charge about $350 for this repair. No damage was done to the control arm by the welding, I clamped the ground clamp to it and used the 130 amp setting on my welder, too.

When you go to install the new bearing put it in the freezer for a few hours first and it will slide right in.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
4ontheFloor,
is this the same BMW that you said was well designed and so really great to work on?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Yeah, I guess I did, didn't I? :rolleyes:

The rest of the car makes sense though.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0