| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (NJC),
151
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,117 Posts1,056,296 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#38896 03/28/2004 10:36 PM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 96 | ok, so when I got to the part where the shop manual says to pull the harmonic balancer, it appears that I don't have one to pull.  In other words I went straight to pulling off the timing gear cover without much production. There appears to be a trace of the balancer left and I can see some welding slag left behind as well. Somehow, I missed this 'minor' deficiency when I bought the engine. Should I proceed with the disassembly and begin to locate a balancer? I have some pictures that I can email or if someone can tell me how to post them, that would help. Thanks! -Shane
Whad you do?!?
Shane 1953 Chevrolet 3600
| | |
#38897 03/28/2004 10:49 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Is the balancer hub still there, or do you see a square key in the crankshaft nose, or a slot where a key would have been? If the balancer hub is still there, you'll probably have to split it with a chisel, or get a 3-jaw puller behind the timing gear and pull the gear and hub off together. If you choose to use a chisel, be careful to just crack the hub, without damaging the crankshaft snout in the process. When I've had to remove a balancer hub that way, I usually chisel right over the key to prevent possible crank damage.
If you'll email me the pics, I can post them for you. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |