| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 42 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 42 | Hey does anyone no why the holes for the rivets on these side plates are approx .030 bigger than the normal rivet size? I measure them at .405 and .345 . Has any one welded new sections to these where they rusted and got thin on top? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | To install a hot rivet you need the hole oversize for the rivet, otherwise you can't get it together in a hurry, in addition to the rivet expanding with the heat. The hot rivet should swell up and fill the hole when you set it/form the head on the other end.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 42 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 42 | What about welding a piece of steel... say 3" wide along the top. Do you guys think this is a definite "no do" or would it be okay? I just priced out the whole side piece and I think I can save some money if I just replaced the thinned out section. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | It's a possibility, You will be removing the entire side plates first right? Making a full penetration weld the entire length of the plate, about 3" from one edge, not in the center of the entire plate, could be asking for problems with it warping and bending. That said, I expect it can be done with some careful welding and possibly hammer work once done.
If you try to trim the bad part off in place, and weld new on in place that is a lot of work too, and you won't get all the rust out from between the old parts.
I know steel is expensive, but considering the aggravation, welding time, and quality of the final product, I would go with the entirely new side plates.
All depends on what you want?
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 461 | Welding frames hasn't been advisable for a long time, because they are heat-treated; welding will destroy the heat treatment for some distance from the weld. I don't know if yours is in that category, but I would avoid welding. On newer trucks, drilling is even prohibited.
Harvester
| | |
| |
| |