The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (GDW, Gdads51, Shade Baby, Shaffer's1950, 3B, 1 invisible), 143 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,459
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
I'm about ready to put the engine back in my 55 project truck. The frame is painted and looks spiffy..I bought some black engine paint but need to strip the old paint. The engine was painted with some rattle can engine paint.

I bought some "orange" based stripper and unfortunately it just softens the paint making it a gooey mess. I may have to resort to using a sovent and a ton of paper towels to get it off. I'm used to having the paint wrinkle up and lifting when I use a stripper which makes the job eazy. Anyone got a product or technique they like fo stripping an engine. It's assembled and running so media blasting or hot tanking is out.

Thanks,

Keith

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Seal any openings,apply stripper and hit it with a power washer.


Drew
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
a black engine???

i had to use a spatule, i had no hi pressure hose nozzle @ the time
i sealed all openings w/ tape so i didn't think the tape would hold up under that condition


Last edited by carolines truck; 02/18/2008 5:34 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I like "Aircraft Stripper" from AutoZone.....available in pints, gallons and aerosol cans for the smaller jobs. It's not what I would call Eco-friendly but it will raise the layers of paint so you can hose them off with water.

A word of caution....make sure you're outside in a well vented area, no place close to anything you don't want to get splattered with stripper and I wear rubber gloves and a respirator when applying it with a brush.

It may/may not take a couple applications but it gets the job done and rinses off clean with with water.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
lol..yes a black engine..tired of the chevy orange..
it will be black with some cast "Wayne" components..

Keith

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
I painted the SBC in my '62 black. All the aluminum and chrome parts like the valve covers, pulleys, intake, brakets, I had sand blasted to make them look a dull silver color. Looks great to me and is something a little different than the polished chrome and aluminum you usually see.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615

That's what I'm thinkin Tim..I thought some cast
aluminum would contrast nice against the black..
Also thought about gold powder coat on black for a
while

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Keith

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I use a wire knot wheel on an angle grinder to strip it off the cast iron, it gets the rust off at the same time and is faster than the chemical stuff for small areas. Followed by gunk, and a hot water rinse. (I tap a hose off the hot water heater for rinsing off the gunk).


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
Stripper and a pressure washer work pretty well with a little touch up with the angle grinder and wire brush. An old or cheap HF cup gun also work really well for spraying the stripper on.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0