The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (dunfire, Bill Hanlon, stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny, papas52, Wayne67vert), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
I just purchased an Optima battery for my 57 truck. The battery has 760 cold cranking amps at 0 degrees. I live in Oregon where the temp doesn't get down to 0 very often and I'll mainly be driving this truck in the warmer weather. My motor is a Chevy ZZ4 350. Do you think this will be enough of a battery for this motor??? Thanks, Dave

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Dave,

That is a big husky battery...a typical starter for your 350 would pull around 200 amps at the most, and the engine would start in a few turns. I don't know what a ZZ4 is, but if it's a monster, then a gear drive starter AND the Optima would certainly get it going easily in any climate.

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Thanks for the info Stuart, the ZZ4 is a high performance Chevy 350 crate motor that puts out 355 HP. It has aluminum heads, roller cam and 400 ft. lbs. of torque. I just wasn't sure what was adequate for this type of motor. Thanks for the help! Do you know what a typical truck battery has in the way of cold cranking amps? Thanks again!

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Dave,

I don't know about trunk mounted batteries. What I think I know is this...if you scale up the battery cable size to make up for the length of run and subsequent loss of "oink" , your system won't even know the battery is located in the trunk.

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
That I did, used 2 guage wire instead of the standard 4 guage.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I'm into street rods. We use the same battery with the same class of engines as yours and don't have any problems. As you know, as the compression goes up, you gotta have more grunt from your starter and the Optima handles it just fine. Point of interest....we use a high capacity alternator (80+ amps) when we install an electric fan as the SBC orginial fan cuts the radiator to low for good cooling.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Hi and thanks for the info. I'm using a 105 amp alternator and also have an electric fan. I appreciate the feedback on the Optima battery! Sounds like it will have plenty of power.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0