| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,358 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 2 | Hi, I am after a passengerside rear quarter panel for my 57 chevy panel van as the one on the vehicle is beyond repair. Anyone know where either a new, or good seconhand one can be obtained? Your help would be very much appreciated.
Last edited by Tony Finch; 11/14/2007 10:42 PM. Reason: poor spelling
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | Welcome to the stovebolt, Tony! Sorry I cannot help you out though. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I don't know which part of your quarter panel needs repair. A friend of mine used a stepside fender to repair the quarter panel on his '57 Chevy panel.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 2 | Hi, The part of the quarterpanel that needs replacing is from the edge of the rear door to halfway along the wheel arch and from the bottom of the panel upto the bottom of the advertising panel. Quite a large section. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 33 | Try Wheelwright (Ray Stanley) | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 104 Jack of all trades and a Master of None! | | Jack of all trades and a Master of None! Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 104 | i have the same issue on my driver side, i checked here in my area on the cost of just the lower (rap-a-round) area (to have it fab'd).... a min of $500 just for the sheet metal work  So i think i will use the lower rear part of a rear truck fender and work it in. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 24 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 24 | I am haveing the same problem I am restoring a 58 Civil Defence NAPCO. The Fleet side bed panels work but are quite expensive and none of the after market people make the repair panel's, I even tried going to Goodmark and talked to them and they said their was not a big demand for them and the stamping dies would cost over $150,000 + so you are UP the Creek so to say. In any event you will need to get a Second Morgage on the house and pay the Piper.Or like I did I rented the body man my shop and he is going to do the repair for some of the Rent.Hope your Project works out Sam. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 2 | Just B.T.T. I'm also looking for quarter panel patchs for a 58 1/2 ton. Need from just behind the door to the back edge. Right now its mostly plastic and that is breaking off as the rusty metal substrate that its stuck to falls apart 
1958 GMC 1/2 ton Panel 1957 Desoto Firedome Convertible
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 23 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 23 | I have to agree, I think the 59/59 fleetside beds are the best source of a patch panel for these late 50 models of the suburbans and panel trucks. I currently have a 57 sub and a set of solid fleetside beds that will be used for patch work. Keep your eyes open on ebay as I have seen fleetside bed side available now and then. Here is a set as we speak: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958...itemZ110217545398QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Last edited by si47gmc; 01/25/2008 6:12 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | as someone who owns both TF panels and fleets, I say it's near criminal to destroy a useable [and limited production] fleet bed to do a repair on a panel that could as easily be done with flat sheets of body metal ... and certainly foolish to pay a thou for bedsides to save a few hundred $$ to a good bodyman Tony - if you need to replace the whole quarter, the fleet bedside won't do it anyway, they're only useful for the molded part at the bottom 6" or so, and even there, don't correctly match the molding at the back of the wheel opening - a step fender will match part of that molding, then get some tin and learn bodywork  Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 | I had the same problem with my 59 Burb. The hardest part to fab is the lower edge. I bought a set of rockers and grafted to them. My metal working skills were minimal at the time. Someone who knows what they are doing could certainly make it look better. It turned out OK though. Rough example | | |
| |
| |