The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#362102 01/18/2008 2:06 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
T
tmm
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
I'm having no luck getting the rear brakes to work on a neighbors 55 GMC 350 series truck. I've bled the brakes numerous times but still no pedal. The master cylinder went out and I installed a new one but can't get the rear wheel cylinders to even move. But when I bleed them I get solid fluid. I plugged the rear line just before the rear wheel cylinders and have plenty of pedal. So I'm thinking the problem is in the rear. Any suggestions? Thanks,....

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
Either the rear brakes are way out of adjustment, or the wheel cylinders are seized


1970 C50 dump! saving orphans from the CRUSHER
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy guys, I agree the rear brakes could be way out of adjustment, but if the wheel cylinders were siezed you'd have a good pedal but no brakes.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
tmm,

Does your truck have a hydrovac unit? If so, did you bleed it as per the Maintenance Manual?

Tim

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
T
tmm
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
I'd already adjusted the brakes earlier. Now this truck does have the dual wheel cylinders so is there a special way to properly bleed them? This has really baffled me. Also, I'm thinking if the local Napa store sold me the wrong master cylinder. Is there a difference from the pickup MS and a 2 ton version?




















Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by tmm
Is there a difference from the pickup MS and a 2 ton version?

Yes, a big size difference.
I would be surprised if you ever get the pickup one to work on that big truck, even with the brakes adjusted really tight...

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
T
tmm
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
It does have the hydrovac unit but I did not bleed it. My thought was if I plugged the line beyond the unit and just before the rear wheel cylinders and had great pedal that the hydrovac wouldn't be the problem. Is that wrong for me to assume that? What is the proper way of bleeding the hydrovac?



























Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Do you have a shop manual for the truck?

Grigg

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
T
tmm
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
[quote=Grigg]Do you have a shop manual for the truck?

No I do not but I'm still searching,..


Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Then you should look here
http://chevy.tocmp.com/

And here for a 54 manual
http://chevy.tocmp.com/shop/1954truck/index.html

Follow the instructions for the brakes, it may be helpful?

Did you figure out if you have the right bore MC?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If the truck has the dual wheel cylinders with the shoes top and bottom, there is a special procedure for bleeding them. That is because the cylinders are vertical and the air doesn't get to the bleeder with the brakes adjusted normally. Read the procedure in the manual.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0