The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 15
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 15
I recently purchased a 1941 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup, it's in good original condition (6-volt) and runs. I want a truck I can drive more often than in local parades, and I now realize the limits the 6-volt, 216 with 4-speed (non-syncro) transmission. I would like to swap out the engine and tranny to something that is still classical (carb) but more modern. I've heard that the Chevy T-5 transmissions will mount up to a 235 and 264?

Advice? Lessons learned?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
Working on the kids truck up this way and we are going to keep the original set up as far as the drive train. will go to a 12 volt. nothing wrong with the original set up just don't be in a hurry to get there, He plans on using it as a daily driver in Huston.


Drive with Pride. mike j
family pic
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Dump the 216 for a later model 235 with dual carbs & fentons, upgrade to a 12 volt system & do the T-5 swap. thumbs_up


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Dump the 216 for a later model 235 with dual carbs & fentons, upgrade to a 12 volt system & do the T-5 swap.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Dump the 216 for a later 235 with a heated Clifford manifold and a 390 cfm 4-barrel carb and Fenton dual exhaust.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
Jim...I have a '42 PU...put a '60 235 w/ a T5 and a 3.42 rear. With two (2) 2bbl Carter Webers on a Offy intake w/ Fenton Headers/ dual exhaust it is a fine running truck. I did convert the rear axle to one from a '70 Nova.


Steve G.
--------------
1942 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Are you relly going to do these modifications so you can drive it in local parades? Most parades I have seen are conducted at walking speed!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 37
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 37
I would be interested in the 216 and tranny when you swap. Let me know.
Rob

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
I have swapped from 216 motor to 235 motor and put my original cluctch, bellhousing and tranny on 3/4 ton truck, engine sounds good, just little glitch in my tranny need to figure that out.

Rob

I have 1952 216 running motor swapped to 235, let me know if you need it, sorry Jim I saw this message couldnot resist to tell him

Ganesh


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0