Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (FishinToms53, klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, Southerntruck, Mike B, Robert Crandall, Peggy M),
95
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,646 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 37 | I'm in the process of replacing my original pinion gear with the newer pinion gear set (ratio 3.55:1). Because the ratio is different I should be able to achieve better high-speed performance at a lower RPM. However, what will happen to my speedometer and odometer readings? I suspect these will not be accurate. Does anybody know of a "quick fix" to synchronize the instruments with the new gear ratio?
49 Truck Nut
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | You can buy a mechanical adapter from a variety of places. It costs between $70-$100. If you are interested, I'll look for links and post them.
I have used an ($100) adapter and my speedometer is within 1/2% of accurate. The adapter that I bought is tuned to match my larger diameter tires and the 3.55 gear-set. It bolts right into the transmission and then the speedometer cable bolts into the adapter.
Tim | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Tim, I bought an adapter from the same guys who sold me my 3:55 gear set and it's still off by 5 mph on the speedo. I did a two way 10 mile check using the odometer and found that I indicating 8.9 miles/10 actual (at least that's what I think I remember, LOL). Anyway, the "standard" adaptor from Patrick's (for around $35) still results in my speedometer reading 4-5 miles slower than actual. I haven't checked the odometer again as I'm in a sort of bummed out holding pattern with the truck right now due to "funny" noises in the engine. I am running 16" tires so assume that if I want to get better accuracy I'll have to run the test again, without the adapter, and find someone who can provide the correct ratio. Here's a site to help in determining the correct adapter: Speedometershop.com Don My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Don,
I used the 10 mile calibration technique and gave the Speedometershop.com (United Speedometer Service) my numbers and they sent me the adapter within a week. I am completely satisfied (1/2% off).
The technique at the top of the page in your link suggests a 1-mile measured mile. Luckily, when you call them, they ask for a 10-mile measurement. I averaged 4 ten-mile measurements.
I saw the Jim Carter adapter right after I bought mine. Most likely I would have tried to save $$$ and bought from Jim Carter - and I would have been bummed out.
Tim | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Tim, Thanks for the info. I firmly believe that Patrick's will refund my money as they are good guys. Once I get the engine "right" again I'll run the measured 10 mile sequences again and order from http://www.Speedometershop.comPerhaps our combined experiences will help 49TruckNut Don My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | down2sea, at what speed is your speedometer out by 5 mph? I would expect the error to be part offset and part proportional to your speed. In otherwords an error indication of 5 mph while going 25 would be the same at 50 mph. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Good question. Actually, I think it is consistently reading 5 mph low throughout the range, although I will have to check that with the GPS. I've got to get the dang thing back on the road again first and will then start fiddling with the speedo.
Don My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 37 | Thanks evderybody - this is all very good information - exactly what I was looking for!
49 Truck Nut
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Compare the odometer with the mile markers on the freeway. If it,s not too far off you can often change the driven gear for the speedo with one with more or less teeth. In this case you will need less teeth. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 455 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 455 | The odometer reading depends on the gear ratio adapter after the 3.55 swap and is not adjustable.
The speedometer needle however is adjustable and can be fine tuned with a movable rotating arm that holds the end of the return spring. Take off the bezel and it will be obivous. The reading will never be accurate across it's entire range, so tune it around your mostly driven speeds.
Patrick's gear ratio adapter is dead on accurate, if you use stock tire diameter, which is almost exactly 29".
I got Patrick's adapter with both my rides and they are accurate.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 700 | Patrick's gear ratio adapter is dead on accurate, if you use stock tire diameter, which is almost exactly 29". I got Patrick's adapter with both my rides and they are accurate. Phillip told me on the phone that they had never had a problem with the adapters. It's now up to me to do the 10 mile runs again and also check the speedometer with the GPS. Lot's of good info from this thread. Don My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery My Photo AlbumBut I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it. Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. | | |
| |