The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, cmayna, FAST55, Gray_Ghost), 113 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33550 06/07/2002 8:12 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
1950 GMC 1.5 Ton Truck with the 248 I-6

Went to go start it and noticed it needed water.... but when filling, water came out of water pump shaft. (New pump, right).

Okay, local NAPA says they can get new pumps for about 120.00 BUT they said that the book only goes back to 1954 for the 248. Now, will the 1954 water pump fit on my 1950????

I want to put a 'new' one one or get one w/out having a core charge (since I'll have the old one rebuilt as a spare).

Thanks for the help. By the way, this GMC is still being used... old farm rig. We don't retire em.... we just use them then rebuild them and use them.....


1948 Dodge 2 ton
1950 GMC 1 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 3/4 ton
#33551 06/07/2002 8:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
The same water pump fits all GMC's from 1939-1959 including the 228, 248 ,270, and the 302. The only difference is in the pulley size. If you use a puller to save your old pulley you are in business..


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
#33552 06/07/2002 8:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
Quote
Originally posted by 53 4 me:
The same water pump fits all GMC's from 1939-1959 including the 228, 248 ,270, and the 302. The only difference is in the pulley size. If you use a puller to save your old pulley you are in business..
Awsome... that's what I thought. I plan to use the old pully.


1948 Dodge 2 ton
1950 GMC 1 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 3/4 ton
#33553 06/07/2002 9:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
Stovebolt has them for $45.

#33554 06/07/2002 9:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
Guys the pulley doesn't 'Just pull off' I broches em they never fit again....I've no idea how my rebuilder does it but a puller ain't it

#33555 06/08/2002 12:32 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
When I changed my water pump 5 years ago, the pulley was already on. I couldn't figure out if it was pressed on or not. My 350 series Jimmy has the 248 and the wide pulleys.
I think it was about $65 and I had to turn in my old one for a core. The Filling Station has them as well........
I picked it up from Carquest right down the street.............. eek


*** GMC ***
#33556 06/08/2002 1:06 AM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
I pulled mine off with a puller and pressed it back on.. Not a problem..


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
#33557 06/08/2002 1:11 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
I think it matters if you have a steel or iron pulley but press is better than puller

#33558 06/08/2002 1:37 AM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
The GMC shop manual goes into detail about changing the pulley. Remember when pressing it back on to make sure you are pressing against the back of the impeller shaft and not against the pump body. You don't want to press the shaft through the bearing, you want to press the pulley on to the shaft.


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0