The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, tclederman, walter74, LAROKE), 133 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,332
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#333517 11/05/2007 11:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
All,

In the short time I've been part of this forum, I have received a great deal of input based on the questions I've asked thus far. I have yet another. I am looking to put a small block GM with auto tranny that will give me plenty of grunt from light to light but will also cruise the highway without running too high an RPM. What would be my best bet for engine size, auto tranny type and rear end & gear ratio that will deliver this? Thanks again all.


1961 Chevy C10 Stepside

In the Gallery
On my web site
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
Well what all do you plan to do with this truck? Any towing or hauling any kind of load? All around, a 350 with EFI would be a good choice plus a suitable gear setup for your requirements.

Last edited by ApacheFiend; 11/06/2007 12:00 AM.

58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
No towing or hauling. I figure that if I can get this truck to the shape I want it, it deserves an easy life from this point forward. I would like to make some semi-long trips in the summer with it and be able to run the highways without any high RPM's, but would like some punch in town at lights when needed.


1961 Chevy C10 Stepside

In the Gallery
On my web site
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
"...it deserves an easy life from this point forward." I couldn't agree more.
I like the 350, plenty of power and plenty of parts at a reasonable cost.
There are several ways to go with the rear. You can have a Ford 9" or 8" built to match your width etc. Or you can go the cheap (inexpensive) route and shop the bone yards. GM made several rears that will fit, I have a 10 bolt Camaro. Someone posted a printout of different differential sizes somewhere here today or yesterday.
I would suggest a 700R4 tranny with overdrive and gears in the mid to high 3s.


~Jim
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I put a Goodwrench 350 crate engine & S-10 5 speed in my 58. It drives great. I can go as fast & far as I want. That trans. is not real strong but if you don,t speed shift or do burn outs it will stand up.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
Thanks Big Chevy & Wrenchbender. I was thinking a 350 as well. The kicker is, I had a 1968 large journal 327 with a 700R4 attached and I sold it 3 months ago after 3 years of searching for a 60-66 truck with no luck. I finally find a truck (when I wasn't looking) and now I have no engine & tranny. My luck in a nutshell, I guess. Its safe to say, there are more 350's kickin around than there is 61 Apaches these days though.......Again, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by northdm; 11/06/2007 1:36 AM.

1961 Chevy C10 Stepside

In the Gallery
On my web site

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0