| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (TrknGMC, FAST55),
94
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,632 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#32400 05/13/2003 4:49 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Help !
Need leads for sources for wheel cyls & such for bigger trucks, specifically 1955 (1st series) 4400 1.5 ton Medium Duty (14,000#GVW).
My truck has 7/8" diameter front WC, which fit '55 - '59 w/ 14" front brakes.
Can't find complete cylinders...and Carter tried to tell me that these trucks have 1-1/8" WC...I politely told them that both my truck and the Wagner brake book say otherwise....in fact all Chevy trucks with 14" front brakes have 7/8" front WC thru the late '60s.
My original cyls are too pitted to rebuild, and even if I have 'em sleeved, I'd still need to find new pistons.....
Would appreciate any leads!
Thanks!
Frank McMullen
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
#32401 05/13/2003 5:35 PM | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 115 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 115 | Pistons in wheel cylinders can be *really* ugly and still work just fine. There's no sealing taking place against the piston itself--it merely transmits motion from the cup to the pushrod. Strange how many people seem to be working on these trucks this spring--I've had three pairs of the big truck 7/8" front cylinders in for sleeving in just the last few weeks, when I usually see maybe a pair a year. All were bare castings, so I didn't get a look at the piston type. If yours *are* really bad, and if they are the typical GM type with a conical recess for the end of the pushrod, I've got a bunch of excellent used 7/8" pistons...some of them may actually be brand new. I'd throw some in with a job, if I had one. Joe | | |
#32402 05/14/2003 1:34 AM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | Frank, - I see you are in Scranton and you should know that the ATHS National show is in Syracuse next weekend, Memorial Day Weekend, at the state fair grounds up in Solvay. You will find quite a few vendors there as well as people to direct you to resources for your brake needs not to mention 600 odd trucks of your size and style scattered around the show.
Should be well worth the couple hour ride up and back for you I would think. Plus, with that twister in Clark's Summit over the weekend, you should get outta Dodge anyway! | | |
#32403 05/14/2003 4:06 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | OKK,
Thanks for the tip on the ATHS show....we have a wedding to go to in Allentown on Saturday; don't know if there's any show doings on Sun.?
Was just up in YOUR neck of the woods last week- to Hanover, NH @ Dartmouth College.
Took I-87 North to Troy NY, then took NY 7 & Vermont 9 to Bennington (stopped @ Hemmings!) and then to I-91...beautiful country you-all got up there!
As for Twisters, we had a bunch of warnings, but no actual sightings or touch-downs that I'm aware of- thank goodness! There was a tornado that ripped through Lake Carey (just north of Tunkhannock and west of Scranton) about fivc years ago and did quite a bit of damage- looked like God had come along with a giant brush-hog and just cut a swath about 75 yards wide and several miles long !
Frank McMullen
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
#32404 05/14/2003 11:38 PM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 427 | Actually, if you want to play hooky from school the show is officially Thursday through Saturday so Thursday or Friday should be full show days. Odd that they would run the show this way but if you read the Granite State Chapter of ATHS newsletter, you'll find that NOTHING ATHS does makes sense (or at least to the guy writing the news letter in for Granite State Chapter).
Last weekend was a good weekend to be up in NH. Great weather on Sat. You have family graduating from Dartmouth? | | |
#32405 05/15/2003 12:31 AM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | Try giving Kanter Auto Parts a call. www.kanter.com They have found some hard to find parts for me..
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | |
#32406 05/15/2003 3:44 AM | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2003 Posts: 27 | I just got a rebuild kit for my front wheel cylinders today at my local parts house. It was at Advance Auto Parts and they told me that alot of teir catalogs go back to mid 30's. I've been amazed at how much is still available without going mail order. It doesn't hurt to ask if you happen to be at an auto parts store. But, from my experience the daytime crew is better than the late crew. Napa is a great resource too. Good Luck
1954 Chevy 3100 235 2 Yamaha YSR50's 05 Silverado crew 00 Yamaha TT-R125 Supermoto
| | |
#32407 05/15/2003 3:45 AM | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2003 Posts: 27 | Oh, by the way I was looking ove their shoulder and they did have 2&3 ton listings too
1954 Chevy 3100 235 2 Yamaha YSR50's 05 Silverado crew 00 Yamaha TT-R125 Supermoto
| | |
#32408 05/15/2003 7:46 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Well, I'll give the blokes at Auto-Zone a shot....
It seems that nobody lists that 7/8" WC that fits the '55-'59 1-1/2 & 2 ton trucks anymore, which is probably why Joe Way has had a batch of them come in for sleeving... but I noticed that the big trusk which used the 14" drum brakes into the '80s employ a 7/8" WC up front, so I've ordered one from a local jobber to see if it just might work.....
Will report on my findings
Frank McMullen
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
| |
| |