Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,313 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#31750 03/27/2002 3:02 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 18 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 18 | I primed the oil pump last night in my 235, the tube on the rocke shaft had a leak in it where the top loop is, is this supposed to be there? If not how can I fix it, preferably on the vehicle? Is it OK with the hole even if it's not supposed to be their, I got oil to all rockers but it seemed slow getting to the front two. Thanks. | | |
#31751 03/27/2002 4:55 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | Does your oil feedpipe to the rocker arms loop over the shaft and dump excess oil onto the top of the head? If so, then there is a little hole that dumps oil directly down onto the brass center section. That is normal, as long as all rockers get oil.
chip
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | |
#31752 03/27/2002 5:00 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 18 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 18 | Yes, it loops over and dumps oil onto the head, but on the underside of the top loop oil dumps onto the center section like you described. I guess it was clogged before I rebuilt my engine so I never noticed it before. | | |
#31753 03/28/2002 3:42 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I believe that hole is there to prevent the oil from being siphoned out of the rocker shaft when shut down.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | |
#31754 03/28/2002 4:40 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | I am doing some head work right now and was looking at my tube. It doesn't look like it does in my manual. The manual sounds more like what you guys describe. Mine comes straight up and above the rocker shaft it's squeezed closed. No loop over the rocker shaft.
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
#31755 03/28/2002 7:44 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Tony, Guys would do that to ensure enough oil to the rockers, when the little holes in the shaft get plugged, you need more pressure to get through, so the overflow is pinced to provide full pressure.
The tube on my 62 235 are the same way. | | |
#31756 03/30/2002 7:29 AM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | *Thinks* Ya know thats funny...
My '60 235 motor had the pinched off looking feedpipe. I thought at the time that it was factory-done.... This motor was a bone-stocker with 1/2 inch of goo stuck to all internal parts and walls.
Tony M, aren't you the one with a '56 head on a '54 block? Maybe the guy carried the later-model feedpipe over with the head swap??? Any signs of improper oiling or other rocker assembly damage?
chip
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | |
#31757 03/31/2002 5:42 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Chev made a major change in the way the rockers are oiled in 1959. Up to 58 the oil was supplied from the rear cam bearing through a 1/16" restricting fitting, then through a steel tube, then up around the head bolt, then to the oil distirbutor fitting between the two shafts which has the loop up and over like you have been talking about. Starting in 59 chev changed to a pressure oiling system where oil was supplied from the lifter oil gally straight up a new cast-in rocker supply gally in the center of the block, up to the same head bolt as before where a new larger 11/32" orifice is used, and then to the oil distributor fitting between the rockers. The oil distributor is pinched off with no loop over the top. The rockers were also changed. The oil groove on the inside was moved 1/4" off center so the oil hole in the shaft was not lined up with the groove so as to pressurize the whole system. Sometimes the early oil distributors were pinched off to help oiling but not from the factory.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | |
#31758 03/31/2002 6:04 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | Chip, the rocker assembly seems to be in very good shape. No slop or anything. I am wondering if it was changed with the head. Things were real gummy and dirty in there but I saw no evidence of heat or excessive wear. When I put it back together I will see how the oiling works up there before I close it all back up. I think this head has not been on there long.
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
| |