The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, Jon G), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,344
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
I suppose this has been asked a thousand times on this forum, but I'm new here and will ask anyway. Can I get a 12 volt starter and alternator to convert my old 216 to 12 volt? any and all suggestions appreciated.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
What I recommend is keeping your 6 volt starter, if it is operable. I've been running mine on 12 volts for about 4 years with no problems. They say not to crank for over 15 secons at a time, but the starter is a tough one.

For the alternator a 10SI is the easiest swap, even works with the stock brackets with some modification. Get the 3 wire style. Also go the Fifth Ave Auto Parts (in the links under electrical). Randy sells a book on the conversion and the DA plug that make wiring simple.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Thanks Fred, Ya the starter is good and that is probably the way I will go with the starter. But is there even a 12 volt one made that works (just wondering). Also,are all these after market harnesses for 6-volt systems? Do they make them as a 12 volt conversion?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
There are harnesses wired smile for alternators.
The 55 up starters are 12 volt but there is no
need to change it. The 6 volt starter will last
longer on 12v than it will on 6.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Thanks for the info-I quess I should have put this in the electrical forum- I'm still learning

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
And if you do use a standard 12 volt one the teeth won't mesh with your stock flywheel.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
If you want, take your starter to an old rebuilder. There you can get the 6 volt converted to 12 volts. I would only do this if my starter was not working. Also, Chevy Duty shows a 12 volt starter for the pre-55 trucks, but I know nothing about it, other than it's expensive.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 58
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 58
I hope u get this in time, Im having major problems with this the previous owner of my 1950 3100 installed a 235, but left the 6v 139 teeth flywheel, well i had to get a 1949 chevy sedan with automatic starter to make it work!

I had ordered the one on chevy duty and it did not work, the teeth dont mesh.


1950 3100
1980 "Vette"
2005 Mustang GT
http://community.webshots.com/user/jlr1516
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 103
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 103
madelectrical.com has very good information on wiring in alterantors, and relays

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 83
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 83
My grandfather put the '55 235 in my 1948 Chevy PU in 1970, and kept it 6 volt but ran 2 batteries in series for 12-volts and a relay only for starting. When I restored it in 1984, i went back to only one battery. In 1994 I replaced the 6 volt generator with a 12 volt generator from a 1962 Buick. The starter is the same starter since 1970. My grandfather told me begore he passed away, that if I ever had to replace the starter, to get a GMC 6 volt starter, as the windings were supposedly heavier duty, and he should know, as he was a WWI airplane mechanic, that shifted to automotive after the war, and had his own shop for over 40 years.
Hope this helps, Garry


Garry K in Pac Nor West
1948 Chevy PU 235 SM420 4 spd
1932 **** B pu
1964 Datsun 4x4 with SBC, SM465 4spd and Rockwell xfer Dana 44Fr and 12 Bolt Rr.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
Good luck ever finding a GMC starter ~ yes it's heavier duty and has an additional bushing supporting the armature , I've been hunting the scraps and core bins for one ever since fixing Proffit's on his '39 some time ago ~ the rebuilders all just laugh when I ask them .

It bolts right in place of the Chevy starter and gives your old 235 a healthy spin .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 197
If you want a heavy duty starter, get one off of a tractor. I think mine's off of a john deere 4020. I used parts from a '51 caddy starter to convert it to 12V. It has the intermediate bushing, four field coils, and heavy duty housing. Find a good automotive electric rebuilder who can tell you what other starters fit your engine.

But, unless you are starting your truck in the dead of winter, the 6V will be plenty strong.


Jason
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 42
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 42
Just another thought here.

A local guy here where I live, rebuilds starters, alternators and generators and so forth. I took my Farmall Cub tractor's starter to him last summer to have him rebuild it and I was asking him what he was doing for us guys who are running 12 volts on a 6 volt starter.

His response is the same as everyone here, that the 6 volt starter will handle the extra 6 volts with no problem, just not keep grinding on the motor.

Well anyhow, he said that he worked on a older vehicle's starter that kept knocking the teeth off of the drive bendix. So he went to his parts supplier and was looking on what might help keep from doing this. Well what he found was a company that made 12 volt fields for that could be used with the 6 volt starters, what this did was lessened the hard engagement force and faster spinning of the starter motor. He said that the fields run about 12 bucks a piece.

He also told me that since he put these new 12 volt fields in this guys starter, he hasn't had any problems since. I thought COOL, now that I have several teeth missing on my flywheel ring now. Maybe this might been been what happened to mine in the first place. I know when I engage the foot starter that engine is really cranking over quite fast. But my engine starts so quick and easy, that I don't hardly have enough time to get my foot off the starter pedal.

I don't know if this may be a problem with every 6 volt starter running on 12 volts or not, but I thought it was something to think about. I don't feel there would be any problem going back to the original 6 volt system on my truck, but it sure it nice to be able to go to even go, let's say Wal-Mart and buy light bulbs in 12 volts for my old truck. Where I would probably have to order 6 volt bulbs, flasher relay and so forth from a parts store and wait a couple of days to get em. For that reason alone, and since it's a semi-daily driver, I really like having the 12 volt system on my old 54.

EVEN THOUGH, I was surprised the other day when I went to one of the parts store and they actually had a new brake light switch for my truck, on the shelf. They pulled out a couple different styles and the one was the correct one for my truck...... better yet is was only 12 bucks and even more surprising, is was MADE IN U.S.A. I about fell over.

John Niekamp


1954 Chevrolet 3800 series flatbed dump
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
Quote
I think mine's off of a john deere 4020.
The 4020 John Deere Diesels used two 12 volt batteries, so the starter is a 24 volt unit.

They made butane (LP Gas) powered tractors as well, I don't know if they were 12 or 24 volt.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Hey guys,I've been gone on business for a week and I come back and have all this feedback-Its Great! Thanks for all the comments and keep it coming!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0