The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dragracefan, Oswald, dt235sd, Ponchogl), 134 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 44
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 44
I read an article some time back about swapping the front brake drum on a 6 bolt 47-54 pu with a 5 bolt from a pre 55 chevy car that has a 5 bolt pattern. Does any one know the details about this swap and the year of car to look for? I plan on putting this in a 51-1/2 ton


41 Chev 2dr coupe
51 3100 w/a 261
11 Camaro RS ragtop
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Dunno about precise details, Alan, but I have heard it is a direct bolt-on swap. Worth a try if you want to keep the drum brakes and have upgraded the rear axle. I believe the shoes, etc. inside will work with the car drums, so it's just a matter of switching hubs/drums. I'm sure someone here has done it and will chime in with some details.

Regards,
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,379
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,379
I read somewhere long ago you can use 53-54 car drums,backing plates and related parts

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
Welcome aboard the SBP Allen.

The setup is to use the hubs, drums and backing plate assemblys from a pre '55 passenger car. You have to drill two holes in the backing plate to match the bottom holes in the pickup spindle and make a couple of spacers to go between the spindle and the backing plate. The whole job takes just a few hours.

I came across the ones I put on my '49 almost 30 years ago while digging around in my shop the other day. I upgraded to Camaro disks after an incident involving a steep hill, a stop sign at the bottom and a load of firewood. eek eek eek


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0