Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,468 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#29635 02/21/2005 2:51 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | Hey guys, after sitting silent for about 45 years, I awoke my '47 216 Fri. night. Runs like a top, nice and smooooooth, valve train all functioning, idles nice without missing a beat. Before turning it over the first time I pulled the pan and cleaned it out, cleaned the oil pump screen, I put it all back together and filled it with 5W30,(my reasoning for 5W30 was put a thin oil in it to help flush everything out, kind of like taking blood thinners for blocked blood vessels) Now I'm in the process of tearing down the motor to clean and re-gasket it. It has low miles, and runs nice so I really don't want to mess w/rings, cam, valves, etc. This is my first real indepth 216 project. I've only dealt with insert bearing, pressurized oil system motors. Any pointers, things to look for, oil passages to clean? I worked in the machine shop of my local parts store for about 2 years, and have been working on motors since I was a kid, just never one of these.
Keith
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | |
#29636 02/21/2005 3:25 AM | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 29 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 29 | Im not trying to tell ya what to do but if your gonna tear it down id suggest replacing all gaskets. then check the clearance on those bearings and make sure you dont need to remove a shim or two. but its my opinion that when you have a engine that far you at least go ahead and throw in some fresh rings and a little hone on them cyl walls. its very cheap and why not. after sitting those rings can stick and also lose tension. i woudnt go crazy but i would for sure ring it. thanks | | |
#29637 02/21/2005 3:37 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | full gasket set is one of the main reasons I'm digging into it. A babbit bearing motor can be plasti-gaged same as an insert bearing motor I'm assuming? What kind of clearences are we talkin' here?
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | |
#29638 02/21/2005 11:44 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Yes you can plastigauge the bearings & peal off shims to adjust them. I believe the specs are 1-2 thousands on the rods. I,d like to see a photo of the D-X truck. I had a D-X station back in the 50,s.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#29639 02/22/2005 12:18 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | Thanks Wrenchbender, check out my truck on the Feb. submissions page, I submitted then and now photos. Are there any other specifics as far as cleaning the the motor, like oil passages in the block or is all oiling done by way of rod dippers and copper lines?
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | |
#29640 02/24/2005 2:15 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | Here's something that came as a bit of a surprise to me today. While browsing around the tech-tips section, I checked out John's VIN/engine # section, and realized not only do I have a '48 instead of a '47, but I also have a 2ton, which makes my 216, a 235 splash oiler! :rolleyes: None the less, it runs nicely and is in darn good shape. Oh well. Now, lets apply my previous ?'s to this new discovery. Is a 235 splash oiler, basically a 216 + 19c.i.?
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | |
#29641 02/24/2005 6:44 PM | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 255 | Pre 54 235's are splash oilers as well. Are you going to change your name? Ralph | | |
#29642 02/25/2005 12:13 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 |  Thought about it, but......no. Everyone will just have to wonder why there's a 47 in my name, and a '48 Loadmaster listed at the bottom.  Is the correct color for this motor still gray? Any decals on the valve cover or anything like that?
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | |
| |