The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29024 01/09/2004 9:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
51 GMC 1-ton

I finally have my 302 running but not yet on the road. I haven't had any luck finding a carb spacer for the 2 bbl. From previous inquiries on the forum I am convinced that I will have problems without the spacer.

My question is whether asbestos plate will work. I recently picked up some scrap asbestos that apparently came from a brake shop. I have a 1/8 and a 1/2" piece. I'm wondering if the asbestos would be too porous or cause other problems. It also has minute metallic particles in it, I guess for heat dissipation. Does anyone know whether the metallic partices are iron? Could I use the material if the particles turn out to be aluminum or brass?

Thanks again for your help

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 43
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 43
I'd go with aluminum i have no problems with mine. I put a paper gasket on the top of the insulator and one at the bottom to insure it is sealed good. No leaks and problems with heat at all for 3 or more years. smile The original one (made out of some hard weird material) was junk! It never sealed any good and broke in 5 pieces when i accidently dropped it on the floor. :mad:


*under construction* 1962 Chev truck: Bagged & bodydropped, shaved, custom made clear tailights & roll pan, custom made aluminum parts.
http://www.geocities.com/philswebsite2003/
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 43
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 43
Oh ya mine was for a 1 barrel carb though. Which is about 1/2 the size or smaller of a 2 barrel carb.


*under construction* 1962 Chev truck: Bagged & bodydropped, shaved, custom made clear tailights & roll pan, custom made aluminum parts.
http://www.geocities.com/philswebsite2003/
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Bakelite, phenolic plastic, teflon, acrylic, or maple are good materials to make carb spacers out of. They can all take the heat of the intake manifold just fine. I wouldn't use aluminum because the whole point of the spacer is to keep the carb from getting heat from the manifold. I wouldn't use asbestos because of the health hazard. It may also decide to flake and ruin your engine.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I have a bad habit of posting questions before I have exhausted my options. I found a local plastics shop today with phenolic plate scraps which will be perfect for the spacer. I got varying thicknesses to experiment with; more than I need for $5. Phenolic plate looks just like brown curcuit board but thicker and without the holes. It comes in various thicknesses, probably 1/16 - 1" or more. Looks easy to work with, although I'm not sure how I'll cut the large port holes for my 2 bbl.

The shop assured me it would stand up to the heat and fuel.

Thanks for all the input.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Phenolic is a good material to use, but you must know the hazards. It produces a dust that causes inflammation in the lungs, so were a good dust mask. If you have the right tools, cut it on a table saw, drill the big holes with a hole saw, then sand the inner surfaces smooth. You need very smooth surfaces for the air flow.

We used to use it in aircraft all the time, not much any more.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
Fred

Thanks for the verification on the material. I was wondering if I it could be cut with a hole saw.

Kind of funny,. Since I hadn't been able to find something here I was sure I would find the right material at "The Yard" in Wichita the next time I visited Mom.

Stovebolters: "The Yard" is a great military surplus store and also has literally tons of materials. Nuts, bolts, plastics, aluminum and steel billets, diamond plate, sheet and all kinds of gadgets. Stuff apparently comes from the Boeing, Beech, and Cessna factorys and the Air Force Base nearby.

Fred, I'm looking forward to visiting your vintage chevy shop the next time I'm there.

Iz


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0