The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (WICruiser, Youngin' Tut 59, Rick Brown, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, KEVINSKI, 3800GUY, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 106 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,589
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 8
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 8
I struggled with the king pins trying the jack method and heat to no avail. Took the axle off to go in search of a press but decided to give it one more try with a couple of different sized ball and peen hammers on the shop floor. I held the smaller hammer with the ball on the pin and thumped the hammers peen to peen. It worked not once but twice. Two pins on the floor and I was "King". Beginners luck! Now what? This is a 55 1st series 3/4 ton the TRW Automotive king pin kit came today from Chevy Duty. Not a word of instruction in the kit, but what did I expect right? So I pull out the 1954(55.1) Shop Manual where I learn that 1/2 ton trucks have floating bushings that drop in and don't get reamed. I have a 3/4 ton and the old manual is telling me I've got what ya call yer press fit bushins whats needs pressin & reamin with a special K-318 bushing driver and a .923" diameter model J-3057 chevy reamer. Now I'm guessing that the closest I will ever come to those two vintage Chevy tools are the pictures in the back of the chapter. Now I'm hoping maybe modern science and all that, figured a way to make my 3/4 bushings as user friendly as the 1/2 tons. Since TRW Automotive didn't include any literature I went in search of their website and thanks to Yahoo I found it. The problem is they dont even admit to making king pin kits, let alone what to do with them. Now if anyone out there hasn't figured it out yet, I don't have a clue as to what the hell I'm doing here, but I dont think that should stop me and I know someone is goina say "machine shop" but there is no fun in that if there is a way to do it yourself? So the point of the story, and there is a point, is how do I determine what type of replacement bushings I have? Will standard size bushing drivers work here and what would I ream it with?


1955 1st series Chevy 3604 3/4T
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 23
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 23
Ordinary bushing drivers will install the bushings..Just make sure to install with the grease holes lined up which should be the correct height in the bore.. DO make sure the bore is CLEAN !!....It only takes an ordinary hand reamer to line bore the new bushings..Used to buy the reamers from the local parts stores..Surely a local machine shop will have the reamer needed. Its not a big operation...You simply keep reaming a little at a time til you get a "Wrist Pin " fit of the pin with some light lube on it...


If all the cylinders ain't in a line it ain't cuttin it..
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 8
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 8
Thanks for the advice. I'l give it a try. One thing about the replacement bushings is that they are slit down the side all the way through. The originals were solid all the way around. Is there any thing different about installing this type of bushing I need to know?


1955 1st series Chevy 3604 3/4T
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My 1 Ton replacements were slit down the side too. I guess this allows them to conform and in the process the inside diameter gets a little smaller.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0