The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 71 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,567
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26149 12/16/2001 2:46 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14
I am getting ready to change out the tranny on my 54', the old tranny is junk. So when I put the new one on what do I need to lube up, and with what? If the throwout bearing looks good do I need a new one/ the clutch is relatively new with <1000 miles on it, same with engine. I was also going to buy the driveline bushing and seals from ChevyDuty, is that a good idea? I was also thinking about a new U-Joint from ChevyDuty, kind of spendy but does anyone know where to get them? Do any of the major parts houses carry the U joint assemblies? Help and thanks in advance!!! :p


rje
#26150 12/17/2001 11:26 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
RJE,

Pre-lube all the gears and bearings, particularly the rear output shaft bushing!
This is the bushing that the front u-joint yoke rides in.

You could use gear oil, but STP assembly lube is also good.

The throw-out bearing itself is a sealed, permanently lubed thing.

A light coating of grease on the front bearing support "snout", the splined part of the input shaft, and the pilot bearing surface will complete your pre-lube.

As far as I know, u-joints for torque-tube drive lines are not available through regular jobbers such as Neapco; they are from folks like Chevy-Duty or Jim Carter only. Sorry!

Don't forget to lube that rear bushing! I didn't, and "wiped it out" with in 50 miles!

Frank


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0