The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (frogfarmer, Mike B, dt235sd), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,641
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2539 03/25/2004 11:45 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 112
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 112
Any experience here with the new 3" dropped axels from CCP? I'd like to keep as much travel as I can and still get my '59 out of the wind so I'm thinking of using this axel with stock springs with reversed eyes. See any problem with this? Thanks-


--------------------------------------------------
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
I have just finished installing a 3" drop axle on my 54. I had previously installed the 3" mono-
leafs. This combination together made for some steering linkage modifications. But in the end it worked out very well. Nice and low with the rear end dropped about five inches.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
I got my 3" drop from CCP last week and im installing it this weekend after the Good Guys car show.

Whats the purpose of having reversed eye leafs?

54_ME do you have a pic of your truck?

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 112
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 112
Titan - The reversed spring eyes lower the truck an additional inch or so. Since I'm going to run stock springs I'll have them rebushed and probable re-arched by a spring shop so...as long as their being rejuvinated the eyes are simple and cheap to have done. I'm concerned about having to bend the steering arm though if I go too low. Maybe I'll see you tomorrow at the good guys. I'll be the guy walking out with all the cool ginny '59 parts! smile


--------------------------------------------------
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
Titan, I have a digital camera, but I dont know how to post pictures. I'll read up on it and try this weekend.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
4d9er, How much are they charging you for the spring re juvie and eye bending?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
54me,
What all did you change to your steering during instal of your mono's+ axle??
I've been told you only need to change the steering link from a ball type to a tapered end and mount from the bottom and you're good to go!

Thanks,
j

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
You are correct, I did have change to the tapered tie rod ends and mount from the bottom, the other thing that needed to change was the position of the drag link from the steering box pitman arm to the steering arm. I had to flip the drag link to the bottom of the steering arm because in its stock location it came up in a very severe angle that caused the drag link to push more up than back and forth. You could actually see the truck kind of lift up on the drivers side when you tried to turn the steering wheel which was harder to turn than normal. I had to make a drag link from two indivual tie rod ends because you can not just flip the stock drag link because it will point in the wrong direction on the pitman arm side.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
Hey 54 me
Do you have a picture of your truck after the drop axel installation?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0