The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Millenimech, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
I found that I have a Muncie brand PTO on my 1 ton.

Now...after calling Muncie my model was actually made by Chelsea.

It is the PT - A2HW. The PT's are Chelseas and the PH (I think) was the Muncie built Muncie.

Backlash on the PTO is very important. (This is the tightness of the teeth on the PTO gear and the tranny gear.) Backlash is set by the gaskets...yep.

So I found a place here...(Inland Truck Parts)...that has the gaskets on hand. Muncie was very helpful on the phone, Inland Truck not so much. But I have four new gaskets now. (2x 0.001 & 2x 0.002) The goal is to use them in a combination that will set my backlash.

This old PTO does not have a cover that can be taken off to see the gears. Backlash is 'guesstimated' by attaching the PTO and turning the output shaft by hand...(I'm assuming I should feel some play, but not a lot). So far the answers on backlash have been a bit less than scientific.

There you go...all I know...about the PTO

(Cool rhyme.... grin )


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
This is on a SM 420 transmission, right?

If you pop the transmission into neutral and remove the top cover with the shifter still intact, you can see right down into the gears and measure the lash with a feeler gauge or dial indicator. It is pretty easy to re-install the top by lining up the shift forks with the synchro rings and bolting it back together.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Quote
Originally posted by 4ontheFloor:
This is on a SM 420 transmission, right?
-------
It is pretty easy to re-install the top by lining up the shift forks with the synchro rings and bolting it back together.
grin

Ya'll can sure make stuff sound simple!! But as a wrencher that is learning as he goes...that sounds a bit over my head. I don't know what a shift fork is... smile


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0