The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Shade Baby), 152 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
Hello, I have a 1950 AD with a 235. The previous owner had electronic “newer” style gauges and I wanted to go back to the originals. The only thing is, I don’t know what to ask for at the auto parts shop for the Oil Pressure sending unit. It is mechanical not electrical. They want an old one to look at and of course I dont have one. What do I need?

Thanks for any help.


1950 AD Chevy
235 - 3 on the tree - straight pipe & cherry bomb - baaaam bam bam bam bam
I am no mechanic, but I am going to try on this one!
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy mamboitaliano, The original line was 1/8" steel tube, it used what is called threaded sleeve fittings on the ends. To install to the engine you will need one "weatherhead" p/n 6200X2, male connector and two 6100X2 nuts, and however much 1/8" steel tubing you think you need, hope that helps.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
Thanks Shop Shark,

What goes on the cluster? Thanks!!


1950 AD Chevy
235 - 3 on the tree - straight pipe & cherry bomb - baaaam bam bam bam bam
I am no mechanic, but I am going to try on this one!
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy mamboitaliano, firstly my handle is "3B", secondly the factory gauge has a threaded sleeve female seat in it hope that helps.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
Sorry about the handle, thanks for the correction - was looking in the wrong spot.

OK, not to be stupid, your first post sais I need “weatherhead” for the engine, is it the same for the factory gauge. I am really REALLY new at his and detailing cars and all the little stuff is where I shine for working on the car - I just want to do more of the other work too.

Thanks again ..... 3B


1950 AD Chevy
235 - 3 on the tree - straight pipe & cherry bomb - baaaam bam bam bam bam
I am no mechanic, but I am going to try on this one!
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy mamboitaliano, "weatherhead" is the name of the fitting manufacturer, I gave you the name so that when you went to pickup the parts you could tell the kid with the nose ring or bolt through his eyebrow that you want two "weatherhead" part number 6100X2 nuts and one 6200x2 male connector. By the way the X in the part number is actually a by sign, so when you ask ask for two 6100 by 2 fittings and one 6200 by 2 fitting, hope that helps.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Mamboitaliano-

You might consider online shopping with some of the parts suppliers you find on the "Links" section of Stovebolt. Chances are my local auto parts store would sell the tube fittings that 3B mentions, but I doubt they would sell the gage itself.

Choose any supplier you like, but I saw that American Classic (a Stovebolt supporter) has both the gage and the tube/fitting kit on their webpage.

I also recommend checking the Stovebolt forum users glovebox manual for new user info. Also, don't forget to use the search feature. Out of 100 questions I have, I bet 95 of them have been asked by someone already. It is convenient to read all of the inputs without having to wait for folks to reply to you.

Good luck with your conversion!
Bill

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
Bill,

Thank you for the lead, this is perfect from American Classic, which half of my truck is =). This kit is the “easy” way and right now I need easy.

Thanks for the forum suggestion also. I honestly tried a search and could not come up with anything, but the info on the glovebox is well done, again, thank you.


1950 AD Chevy
235 - 3 on the tree - straight pipe & cherry bomb - baaaam bam bam bam bam
I am no mechanic, but I am going to try on this one!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0