The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, Bill Hanlon, 53&Me, Gdads51, Ridgeback, Ole49GMC, 1 invisible), 120 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,137
Posts1,056,437
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#231133 04/05/2007 5:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
New leaf springs and king pins. Now for the steering components. My plan is to look into a power steering box from ABS. I've heard they have a toyota box that you can u-joint up to your original steering column for about $450. (I don't mind not having power steering. It's that ratio that's crazy. You gotta crank the steering wheel like crazy to make a turn.) My question is, do I get a new drag link and tie rod ends now or after the power steering conversion? And can I get the modern tie rod ends for my 3/4 ton or do I just replace the old-style originals? One of the on-line suppliers lists a drag link for a 3/4 ton but not tie rod ends. And I don't want to order something on-line and find it doesn't fit a 3/4 ton. Any one gone down this road?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I havn,t done it but the drag link is part of the conversion kit. I think the 1/2 ton tie rod ends are the same.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Skip,
I did this conversion on my 56 3100 about 5 years ago using a kit from ABS. The drag link and pittman arm came with the kit. I would be happy to show you the finished product. I also did a write up for them for the installation process.
I can share it with you if you wish. I am not able to give you any info on a 3/4 ton as I don't know what the specific differences are. If you want to e-mail me direct I can give you my phone number and you can check it out.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 25
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 25
Don,
Fred's conversion is really nice and works great-which is just like the rest of his truck!

I have to execute (what seems like) a twelve point turn to get my truck into the garage from the alley. I've walked into the house muttering about power steering more than once.
The upside is that I can swing that sledge from your pictures like it's a tack hammer. smile
Kim

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
CPP has modern style tie rod ends $50/pr) that replace the original ball and socket. They also have a 1 inch diameter heady duty tie rod (&69). The advertise that their HD tie rod is a "must" for power steering conversion.

I bought the tie rod ends from Classic Parts (Chevy Duty) and the ones they sent me came from CPP. Classic Parts has a heavy duty tie rod ($30 or $35?) made from hardened steel but diameter is not stated in the catalog or web.


1946 Chevy Half Ton
('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS)
1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
I saw that tech tip and wanted to make sure I did my homework before I bought anything. Kim, I went over to Freds. He told me he just finished converting you over to a small block. He's a neat guy. The king of overdrive and the right guy to talk to regarding power steering. He helped ABS "write the book" on that. Thanks guys! It's a lot of dang work ain't it? Does make us strong though. I'm not quite as built up as Kim yet though. grin

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I am not familiar with ABS, can someone send me a link? I'm looking for a conversion that places a Toyota box in the stock (or close to it) spot on my 55 3100.

Thanks.
Michael

#231141 04/09/2007 11:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
Michael,
I sent you an email. ABS is in Orange,CA.
www.abspowerbrake.com
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0