The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (GMCJammer51, TexasA&M48Truck, 55shaker, Gdads51, Pre '68 Dave, moparguy, 3B), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,390
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22996 01/23/2002 4:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7
Fellows, you're scaring me. I apparently have done nothing right, and now I'm freaking.
Here's the deal: I've had my 3/4 1950 for nearly three years. Two months after I brought it home, the original 216 blew up as my son and I were making our maiden voyage to the lumber store.
The boy, 9 at the time, hugged the hood of the truck and literally cried, saying we had hurt the old girl but that, "Dad would fix you up."
Geez... what was I supposed to do? I rejected everybody's advice, absolutely everyone's, and my son and spent the next eight months rebuilding the 216.
Everything seemed okay and you should have seen the "barn dance" we had when the 216 fired up for the first time after the rebuild. Now, after reading these latest posts, I realize I didn't do anything the way I was supposed to.
The question: Do I tear it apart to see how much wear there is, or do I let well enough alone and hope I am the recipient of extreme beginner's luck. BTW... does anybody ever keep the 216?

#22997 01/23/2002 5:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Hi Ed,

Keeping the 216 is a matter of taste and purpose. Some people keep the babbit pounder engines to maintain originality. They also keep them if the truck isn't gonna be worked real hard or driven real fast. Conventional stovebolt wisdom is to swap to a full-pressure 235 if the truck is gonna be used a lot.

If your engine is running fine, no knocks or smoke, then let it roll! Baby it, change the oil often, and listen for strange sounds or a change in how it runs. Your engine should be OK when well maintained in stock form.

If my posts got you scared, I'm sorry. You and your son should be very proud to have built a 216 and have it live.

My 235 has been a problem child since 1996. It has had many "that can't possibly happen" failures. Its balancer has come loose, its broken a piston in half, burned up one crank, knocked the bearings out of another, beat the rods to h@ll and broken a main cap. I'll admit that a combination of bad machine shop work and my inexperience during assembly caused these problems.

It also didn't help that I ran the engine hard. I thought it was in excellent shape, and it wasn't. I saw the low oil pressure, the blowby, and the smoking from the back 3 cylinders. But I continued to run it, and she came apart. Typical hotrodder mistake. Duh...

Your engine should live a long time poking along to the lumber yard and going on chocolate-milkshake runs with your son.

Best of luck
Chiphead


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#22998 01/23/2002 6:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
Guys there's run and RUN!

It is possable to build an engine on a dirt floor and with a beam Torque wrench,hammer,and
very little prelube.

My point in much of my posts is Do it right.With the right stuff .The right way.
Nothing fancy just good sense.

Someone must have done something correctly or your engine wouldn't run.

It is possable for machine shops to do thing correctly!!That is their job!!
None of us want to do things over.It's a waste of time and money.So RIGHT is to check everything in the best way you can.

Remember that there were mechanics that made $1-2 an hour in gas stations with little or nothing.These engines ran.....NOW the question is....... How far?How long?
We ALL want to just get in the truck and drive off.That's the goal.Havin effortless fun!
Driving history......makin some

If your motor works cool....Really Cool.BUT If you ask me how to fixit I gotta tell you to do it the best way you can.You have to make the choice where to skimp if you must on tools parts,ect.It's then your choice........shouldn't be scary!
My feeling is if I tell you less and then you skimp from there......it won't be good!
I know what I know from Racing,driving,building......most important the Craftsmen before me that took time to give me their version of RIGHT. You can do better because their instruction allows you to understand how things work and know there is a Standard!This means there are things you can take as a given and consider solutions to other problems considering new materials,parts,techinque,and the inovation of others.

This is how we will eventually go 300mph with a GMC 6!!!

First this is supposed to be fun!

#22999 01/23/2002 11:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
First, let me just say what a great experience you provided for your son (and yourself). At 9 or 10 he now has a greater understanding of the principles of the internal combustion engine than 99% of the people driving them. Good for you guys. wink

I'm going to agree with Chiphead here (not that I disagree with Proffit :p ). If the 216 is running fairly smoothly and not burning oil, I'd leave well enough alone. After all of the work you two put into her, both you and your son need to enjoy driving the old girl around. If you're not planning on racing her, she should be fine. Now you can take your time researching and thinking about a replacement engine at some point down the line and still get the pleasure of driving to the lumber yard.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
#23000 01/24/2002 1:34 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
One more thing

Changing the oil.I use fleet oil.....Rotella......It still has a vapor action.New oils ain't got it

Some EPA guy decieded that that's where smog comes from.

With a new engine 250,500,1000,1500 and every 1000 after that.I have had old cars that really ran like a watch just cause someone changed the oil.....in a 216 IT'S a big help!
AND get out the grease gun everytime you change oil and grease the chassis.People forget
about grease.

I run a lot of babbit old stuff!

Have fun!!

Chip 1996? really.........1996.........please go buy a rebuilt motor!! SOMEWHERE
I usetta live at the beach I remember watching a kid fall off his scateboard everyday tring to just jump a curb!Three years.....everyday!One day I stopped him'Kid I been watching you
You keep fallen off!!THREE YEARS KID!!!' He looked up at me and just said'Mister you are right!'Last time I say him he was with the cutest little blond girl in a tini bikini..........He looked a bunch happier! Less brused!Made me feel good knowing that he found something else to do!Go buy a motor....

#23001 01/24/2002 5:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7
Thanks guys for your very thoughtful replies. I'm better now.

#23002 01/24/2002 5:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Jim,,Do you still live by the beach??
I will bring my skateboard,,,,,, grin


As for your rebuilt 216,,, good for you!!!
Keep the oil changed and keep it tuned up!
It should last as long as you take care of it.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Mechainiac ]


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#23003 01/24/2002 6:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Drive it till it blows,than worry about.It aint worht much any ways what you go to loss.

#23004 01/24/2002 6:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
The block. Thats whatcha lose. The block

eek


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#23005 01/24/2002 7:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Losing a 216 block is like loosing a zit.Your gonna throw it away anyway.

#23006 01/24/2002 8:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Ah, more automotive eloquence from Phat.... Its the squeezing that hurts, and old trucks don't heal themselves.... grin


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#23007 01/24/2002 9:18 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
I don't understand!!! :confused: If it's running, not making any noises or smoking or dripping....What's the problem? These old engines were rebuilt or cobbled by farmer types for years and "still going". Getting the bearing clearances and dippers for the oil pan are biggest concerns on these. What do you think is the problem? If you followed a book or instructions, should be fine. If I ever do one of these, it's gonna be taken to machine shop and coming out as a short-block, done, sealed, measured, bearings in so I don't have to deal with them. Worth the extra effort, guy in shop does them occasionally and old tractors too that are same designs usually.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#23008 01/26/2002 6:12 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 45
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 45
I learn to drive on a 48 chevy three speed sedan "fleetwood" fastback...remember those?...with the vacuum shift on the column?

Probably had a 216 in it...heck i don't know...as i was only 13 at the time. But that engine ran with no problems.

Starrider


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0