The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phak1), 186 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,242
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Not sure what board this belongs on. But since I am OCD and have figured out what happens next on the brakes...I am starting to think about the lift bed's hydraulics.

See...the fluid (which PO said he never had to refill)...is all over my driveway. Last time I tried to lift the bed nothing happened, but I could hear the PTO running.

So...this thing needs to be rebuilt. Prolly just needs all new seals. I have a tank like thing on the rails and then the actual pump underneath it. All of that is covered in crud and fluid.

(The pistons have not leaked a drop.)

What is the procedure on this? Is there a DIY for this or is it a save up $500 and take to a shop?

Dave


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
sablesurfer,

My procedure on forklifts is to clean all the junk off all the cylinders, hoses and power units so I can see exactly what is leaking and from where. You might find a important serial or model number which would help you in your search for seals, O-rings or whatever.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Yes. NEVER work on a dirty unit if it can be avoided.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
If the PTO is spinning it should be operating the pump. Onliest way to know if Mr. Pump is working is to put fluid in the resevoir. If the pump is working you should get operation of the hydraulic cylinder unless that has a problem in which case you'll be able to see and hear some activity.

However:
First thing I did was clean everything. Nothing sexy here. Just plain old disgusting scraping, spraying with engine cleaners and hosing it down. Once you visually inspect all the components starting at the actual operating valve, you may just find it's a blown hose or something that needs to be tightened. Check the fluid level in the resevoir. But before you add fluid, fix obvious things that may be leaking first. Otherwise you can end up with hydraulic fluid all over the ground.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Thanks for that.
As soon as the brakes are working I'll run the truck up to the local self wash place and see what I can clean up.
Then I'll get some pics and come back.

Dave


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
I went to the car wash place many times trying to get all those years of thick gunk off. Just make sure you cover the distributor and carb really well with lots of plastic. I had one backfire that blew a hole in one of my mufflers grin


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0