The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Gdads51), 141 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226758 02/09/2007 12:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 26
W
Apprentice
Apprentice
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 26
I am going to lower my 52" 3100 on the ground. the rear end i have on the truck right now (not stock) seems to be to narrow. my question is how wide of a rear end do I need so the tires will not hit the bottom or side of the bed. Also are all the rear ends shifted forward? Can I just move the rear end back on the leaf spings?


westerman
52' CHEVY 3100
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
60" would work. Try to find an axle from a 70-81 camaro or firebird. You may have to C notch the frame over the axle if you need to get real low.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I am running a 62" wide (rim mounting surface to mounting surface) 88 Camaro differential with 15 X 8 rim with 4" backspacing and a 255/70/15 tire, on the rear of my 54-3100.

I would suggest that this is about the max. width tire you could squeeze in with this width diff and clear the bed. My 54 truck has a 50-1/4" wide bed. I did note some tire rub during severe corning before I installed my heavy sway bar. The clearance to the lip of the fender would be adequate to lower my setup but think a 235 tire on a 7" rim with the same backspacing might be a safer choice.

You might consider a panhard bar to tighten up the rear end, as there is bound to be some lateral movement during severe cornering.

I moved my diff. 1-1/4" back to center it in the wheel well. Made a 1"thick by 2" wide by 6" long block, drilled a hole on the bottom for the spring pack bolthead and back 1-1/4" on top, tapped a 3/8 hole for a bolt, that centers the diff-to-spring perch. The 1" tall block gives me a higher rake than the stock closed diff mount. You would want to add height to the block to lower your setup.

A word of caution....if you move the diff back, wait until you have everything bolted up solid before measuring your new driveshaft length. You CAN NOT just add the distance you moved your diff back to the shaft, and have it fit properly. Haven't figured out why...but you can avoid some frustration if you heed my warning! I've got a couple pics in my album.

I hope this helps you establish some sort of baseline for your modification.


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
Here is a good site for rearend width for reference on what you may want to use...

http://www.carnut.com/specs/frear.html


1946 Chevy Pickip

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0