The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost, 2-Ton), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222247 12/19/2006 6:23 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 74
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 74
Close to getting my '62 dually 1 ton on the road and need to get some new rear tires. Is it worth the time to clean up and paint these split rims or is there a newer rim that I can use? These may be the only set of tires I ever need to buy for this truck. Currently has what I believe are the factory 8 lug 16" rims.

#222248 12/20/2006 6:40 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
I wish you weren't so far away. I just posted my 17.5's eight lugs for sale with good tires on them. They'd work really well on that truck. The larger size would lower your rpm's, something most folks would like to accomplish. Va is just a wee bit too far for me to deliver them to you.

#222249 12/20/2006 12:39 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Pay a local junkyard a visit with one of your rims. They should be able to either find what you need or at least tell you what to look for.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#222250 12/22/2006 4:55 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 74
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 74
orchidskip, I also wish you were closer as I'd love to have those wheels of yours. This truck is going to be used for some 200-400 mile trips and a little more top end would really help.

There is a local junkyard that has a '75 or so Chevy dually with 16's on it now that might work but I'd rather have taller rims.

#222251 12/22/2006 8:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
17.5" rims are the tubeless version of your 16's. There will be no difference in the height of the overall tire/rim assembly. I used to use a 20" tube-type wheel and a 22.5" tubeless on the same hub of tractor/trailer rigs with no height difference when I was managing a truck shop, pretty regularly. If you want a taller setup, use 18" tube-types or 19.5" tubeless. They are also corresponding height. My 59 model 3800 dually used 18's before I parked it. I've got six 18" tube-type wheels with so-so tires, if you want to come get them.

Try to find a salvage yard that's parting out old bread trucks. A lot of them in the Nashville area used to use 19.5"s.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0